Can you respect a band that plays in shorts?

Fourth Floor

• Members

Uh, well it's hard to have respect for teenage pop punks but I've been watching some pearl jam on dvd and I'm finding it hard to have respect for stone gossard wearing shorts (he's a high guitar player too). I have no respect for players who wear guitars or basses too high (this includes Lennon).

I'm sure it's horribly superficial but it's just my natural instinct.

How hard is it to put on a pair of pants for a show?

• Members

Whoa. Lots of respect for the shorts.

Angus is a good case in point. Much respect there. He is in character though.

As for too high being the correct position, the correct position for what?

Sublime fit into the pop punk for me.

Sorry, no respect for flip flops/thongs :D

• Members

Originally posted by voerking

i never play in shorts, but i always wear my guitar high (y'know...so i can play it).

once a review of my band referred to me as the "pink shirted brian wilson lookalike with his guitar up too high"

me:

glad to hear i'm not the only one who likes to play high.

um, up on the chest, i mean.

how do those ramones-types even grip a chord with their guitar dangling around their knees?

• Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

Uh, well it's hard to have respect for teenage pop punks but I've been watching some pearl jam on dvd and I'm finding it hard to have respect for stone gossard wearing shorts (he's a high guitar player too). I have no respect for players who wear guitars or basses too high (this includes Lennon).

I'm sure it's horribly superficial but it's just my natural instinct.

How hard is it to put on a pair of pants for a show?

If you are working in gay burlesque, it is perfectly acceptable to wear shorts onstage.

• Members

I HATE THE MIDWEST! Everybody 'round here plays in shorts! And many with their guitars 'too high'!

For me it doesn't have to do with respect. If a guy can freakin' play then a guy can freakin play & I can respect the natural ability & time invested in building chops. For me it comes down to being 'cool' - perhaps the most subjective thing in the world.

I don't think it's cool to have your guitar slung high or to play in shorts.

*I should note that I just wrote THE best solo that I've ever composed and the first time I tried to play it standing up (with my guitar slung very low) I couldn't nail but maybe 1/4 of it. :mad: I need to practice more standing up.

~MkF!

"I've got something to say!"

Archived