Tube question

whiteshadow

• Members

Originally posted by whiteshadow

Lets say I take out the vibrato tubes of an old tube amp (vox or fender), will the other channels still work? or does the signal run through the other tubes anyways?

i'll say yes.

is there a grand prize for this question?

• Members

If you're right, maybe
:D

I'm buying a vox AC30, and I want to know if I'm going to need the Vibrato channel tubes (I'm a cheap bastard).

is it used and missing them or what? surely new ones have the tubes included?

• Members

Originally posted by GuyaGuy

is it used and missing them or what? surely new ones have the tubes included?

Yes they'll have them, but I play a lot, and the tubes I get are pretty expensive, so I don't want to have to change all ten of them.

BTW, which tubes should be changed most often: power tubes or pre-amp tubes?

• Members

Yes they'll have them, but I play a lot, and the tubes I get are pretty expensive, so I don't want to have to change all ten of them.

BTW, which tubes should be changed most often: power tubes or pre-amp tubes?

Power tubes. Heat wears tubes down, and power tubes see a lot of heat, especially in a Vox. But, it all depends on how often you play and how loud. A touring pro can get 3 months out of a set of power tubes, someone who practices around the house can get 5 years or more.

Good preamp tubes, especially NOS, can last for decades. They don't see anywhere near the heat that power tubes do. As a matter of fact, you can often by used old preamp tubes that test good and get 10 years or more. New manufactured tubes are less durable, but you should get a few years out them, unless they succume to infacide when new, or go microphonic.

Retifier tubes can also last, though the rule of thumb is to replace them as you replace power tubes. But with a cathode-biased amp like the Vox, I think you can push it longer.

-Y.

• Members
www.kcanostubes.com

has some info on what preamp tubes are used for what and which ones are most important for fender amps but since you want an AC30 that probably wont help all that much.

preamp last heaps longer than power tubes and you don't need to rebias your amp if you change preamp tubes.

you will get told a million different things about biasing. So it is worth reading as much as possible on the topic to get some knowledge so people can't pull your chain

• Members

Originally posted by sumasmreq

They don't affect tone so you can buy the cheapest one you want.

Are you sure about that?

Not even when the vibrato is engaged, it doesn't effect tone?

Gainster posted clips of the Tube Tape Echo, and it had obvious tonal effect even with the unit turned off.

• Members

Originally posted by canucker1981

In my brown deluxe, the signal is always running through all the tubes.

True, but your Brown Deluxe only has one channel.

A Vox has three seperate ones with seperate preamp controls. Normal, Top Boost, and Trem. That said, I really don't know how the tubes are shared.

I know in a two channel BF/SF Fender, don't need the vibrato tube to run the vibrato channel. Hell, you can disconnect the Vibrato pot for more gain on the Vibrato Channel. You can even pull the preamp tube from mthe Normal Channel and it will add more gain to the Vibrato Channel.

Voxes, I know less about.

-Y.

• Members

The pre-amp tubes are actually two gain stages in one glass package (usually not so for EF86s), so depending on how the gain stages are spread around the tubes you might lose another channel when you pull the vibrato channel tubes. I don't know how they were used in the Vox (or what era vox you have) so it could kill all or it might just nix the vibrato.

Archived