My Squier '51 showed up yesterday!

Arjae

• Members

I ordered the blonde one. It came with the black pickguard which was cool. There has been a bit of concern as to whether they were shipping them with the crappy white pickguard. I took it out of the box and gave it a good inspection and I can't notice a single flaw. The color is spectacular. Almost transparent in certain light. The neck feels really good. I have to give it a good set-up tonight as the neck has a ton of relieve. I tuned it up and plugged it in and I couldn't believe how good this thing sounds. Bright, spanky and funky.

I thought I would want to swap the pickguard as most others are doing but the stock black pickguard looks great on it. The neck pickup smokes. I might go for something a bit fatter and darker in the bridge. We'll see.

Overall, I am thoroughly impressed with this guitar for $119. It has a great vibe and is a blast to play.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just got one myself.

Mine is a blone with a black guard.

Planned mods:

GFS liverpool in the bridge
Chrome pickup ring (from GFS)
Cream pearloid pickguard.

It needs a good setup, but other than that, this guitar is a steal.

You and I seem to be in the minority about liking the neck PU, but I think it sounds amazing. It's not as quacky as a strat pickup and it has a really nice mellow tone to it when played clean.

the neck is wonderful too.

:D

'51 modders forum:
http://www.instituteofnoise.com/squier51/forum/default.asp

• Members

The neck is very comfortable. I would say it is on the thinner side. No finish on it which I love. Reminds me a bit of the Wizard neck on my old RG550 that I had years ago. Don't get me wrong, there is some meat to it but on the thinner side.

As for the link, it has expired. It doesn't work anymore. It still works if you had clicked it before the 30th as it stays in your cookies or some {censored}. But having now gotten this, I would have easily paid $149 for it. It is worth a lot more than that. Go try and have GC lower the price.

• Members

Originally posted by frankn

great guitar indeed.

The only thing I changed which made a good improvement was the saddles.

What did you go with? I am in the process of trying to figure out what parts will work on this guitar in terms of bridges, saddles, tuners, etc.

• Members

Originally posted by Arjae

What did you go with? I am in the process of trying to figure out what parts will work on this guitar in terms of bridges, saddles, tuners, etc.

Not sure what they where called becuase I took them off of a squire stagemaster. But they had a heavier feel to them and had

a grey/ matte finish.....they may even be graphite coated.

But it made a big difference. All other parts are just fine imo.

I didn't see the need to change the pickups

I did however spend a lot of time setting it up.

I had an old fender tech shim the neck pocket and then my mentor ted greene made the neck dead straight.

once it was set up with 11's and different saddles it was a great guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by DaSkip

I have a Black 51 with white pickguard. I like it alot, the first mod I will make is changing the bridge saddles to GraphTech.

there you go, thats the one thing i feel that holds the tone back on squires the most (being you get a good one to begin with); the crappy metal material the saddles are made out of.

• Members

The height adjustment srews are actually sloppy in the threaded saddle holes. With vibration it is only a matter of time before proper setup adjustments are lost and inferior string vibration transference to the body of the guitar are lost. Loss of tone will follow for sure.

Yep, new saddles are first for me. Maybe I can score some at the Arlington Guitar show coming up. I am toying with the idea of putting a Sustainer Humbucker in the bridge.

This is a test bed guitar that I already like alot. I have step sanded the fret ends starting with 220 grit paper an progressed incrementally 320, 440, 600 and 1,000 grit for a nice rolled edge fingerboard feel. ;)

• Members

I went out looking for saddles and possibly new tuners today but no one had anything. I did find a strap that I kind of dug. I got some Dunlop strap locks as well. Gonna put them on now.

I guess I should just look online for some saddles. Let me know which ones you end up getting.

Should we set up an official "'51 Squier Mods Lounge" or something where we can all keep track of the changes we make? I am aware of the forum dedicated to this guitar but it would be cool to keep something going here on HCEF.

511.JPG

Archived