HCEF ex-Vegetarians club.

• Members

I'm not into parody threads so much, but this is my second companion thread, and I like them.

I was a strict ovo-lacto vegetarian for 7 years, and went vegan for short spells throughout. Those days are gone forever. I can't really justify being a vegetarian anymore, but I still sympathize (within reason).

Who's with me?

• Members

I didn't last long at all. It was really just an experiment with me though. Around the time I claimed straight edge I also stopped eating meat. Not for morality or health, just trying it. I did it for 2 months and went back to eating meat. Never went back to smoking, drinking, or drugs though. I guess I'm truly addicted to chicken. ;)

• Members

I have no problem with vegetarianism at all. And i often consider becoming vegan myself.

I am into healthy eating and the majority of the meat i eat is organic.

Here are some of the reasons I still eat meat and will most likely continue to do so:

- If i were to ever become a vegan, I'd do it for health reasons, not for animal rights reasons. I don't give a {censored} about animals just like they don't give a {censored} about me.

-I never seem to be satified with fully veg meals. I always feel like somethign is missing and I just feasted on a bunch of side dishes.

-Meat taste really good and there is no vegatable or soy product that is even close to tasting as good as bacon.

-I'm italian and i think my family would disown me if I turned down a piece of sausage.

-I can't help but agree with the notion that humans were meant to be omnivores. I realize this is debatable, but my teeth are prety sharp. nuff said.

• Members

i was veggified for three years. i still rarely eat meat at home (cooking it still kinda grosses me out unless it's barbequeing), but i like to eat well prepared meat dishes at restaurants. oddly, most of my homecooked meals are faux meat items like veggie burgers.

• Members

I tell you I've gone long periods of time not eating meat....not even trying to abstain from it..just not eating it. Not really a biggie to me. Cigarrettes? No problem.

However I'm currently being treated for an ulcer/hiatal hernia/extreme lower digestive reflux (all basically treated the same way :D)

And the rules are certain foods are off. Some of those include peppers, onions, and tomatoes. No spicy stuff. Man, you wouldn't believe how much of what I eat is based off of that. I didn't until I started doing without. I've cheated a few times. If the doc said "no meat or alcohol for two months" Not a problem. But no fajitas? No red beans and rice? No marinara? Oh man...it's tough!! :(

Chicken and beef and fish is an excuse for me to cook up a bunch of peppers onions and tomatoes.

• Members

I've flirted with vegetarianism but never really committed. Meat just tastes too damn good, and I don't really have a problem with eating animals. My baby sister was a vegetarian for years but recently came back to the dark side, although she doesn't really eat red meat.

• Members
Originally posted by Thelonius

I tell you I've gone long periods of time not eating meat....not even trying to abstain from it..just not eating it. Not really a biggie to me. Cigarrettes? No problem.

However I'm currently being treated for an ulcer/hiatal hernia/extreme lower digestive reflux (all basically treated the same way
:D
)

And the rules are certain foods are off. Some of those include peppers, onions, and tomatoes. No spicy stuff. Man, you wouldn't believe how much of what I eat is based off of that. I didn't until I started doing without. I've cheated a few times. If the doc said "no meat or alcohol for two months" Not a problem. But no fajitas? No red beans and rice? No marinara? Oh man...it's tough!!
:(

Chicken and beef and fish is an excuse for me to cook up a bunch of peppers onions and tomatoes.

My sympathies.

• Members
Originally posted by paulandpaul

-I never seem to be satified with fully veg meals. I always feel like somethign is missing and I just feasted on a bunch of side dishes.

Then, apparently, you were dealing with either vege-n00bs or the same sorts of ill-informed individuals who automatically ass/u/me that vegetarianism entails the consumption of fish. :p

There is FAR more to vegetarian dining than side dishes ... [rant] but the average "steakhouse dweller" fails to realize this ... and expect the non-meat eater to subsist on @#?!ing side dishes and salads. :mad: [/rant]

• Members

Originally posted by Filterbank

I too went 7 years without a bloody bite. My diet improved when I started eating chicken and occasional red meat. That was about 10 years ago and now, I'm sorta out of control.

Almost entirely the same situation and time frame for me. When I became a veghead, it was easy. When I was hungry, I made sure I ate until I wasn't hungry anymore. As long as what I ate wasn't meat, I was a vegetarian. No problem. Maybe the problem is that I took the same strategy going back to meat -- so now, when ever I eat, as long as it has meat, I'm still not a vegetarian. I've had a hard time finding the balance.

Archived