What's a good envolope filter?

univox5138

• Members

I have tried the Lovetone Meatball, EMMA DiscumBOBulator, Moogerfooger filter, Ibanez AF-9, Boss TW-1, Line6 FM-4, EHX Doctor Q, but my fav envelope filter will always be the EHX Q-Tron

I suggest you check out the EHX Q-Tron+

• Members
Originally posted by bieke

I have tried the Lovetone Meatball, EMMA DiscumBOBulator, Moogerfooger filter, Ibanez AF-9, Boss TW-1, Line6 FM-4, EHX Doctor Q, but my fav envelope filter will always be the EHX Q-Tron

I suggest you check out the EHX Q-Tron+

+1 on the q-tron+ also, the chunk is a nice envelope filter to. But you want to do "ambient" right? The piltre might put you in that ballpark but I have never tried it but you know it is ck3 so there must be something "ambient" about it. To the point, I find envelope filter/followers to be more on the side of funk or psychedelic music and not so much on the ambient side. The filter I would suggest for pure ambient goodness is the frostwave resonator (korg ms-20 clone)which is a filter but is not triggered by a attach so you get a much smoother and longer sweep (way huge like from R2D2 to the thx swoosh subharmonic bass sound in the movie intro) of the filter. This has to be done by hand or better yet a spacebeam theremin that has the proper cv out as it has no follower but that is good thing followers and ambient can be :( , but back to the point you could use a volume pedal with a 9volt wire to the input so you can control the voltage on the CV inputs of the frostwave kind of like a ghetto cv pedal that outputs 9 volts.

oh ya, the meatball with the just useing the filter and not the follower will get you there also, and you can use a normal expression pedal rather then a cv pedal. But you saddly loss alot of range in the subsonic bass side :( and that is the sweetess part in ambient, that whole thx subsonic "swoosh" ;)

balls to the wall ambient filter though is the sherman filter bank (the king/mother of all filters) or for the obscure type filter the mcbeth morroc filter would fit the bill. Nightchildren could help you more with these but sadly he is not around here much in the past year or so :(

Archived