You can't tell me that this guy's not crazy...

• Members

Originally posted by telepaul

You posted the Quintet at massey hall record that feature Powell and Mingus earlier. I sense a "genius sometimes has it's price" theme.

Nice connection. And it definitely does. I read an article somewhere that says something to the effect that by devoting his teenage years and young adulthood to chess, he pretty much crippled himself socially and emotionally, missing that part of natural development altogether. He didn't even finish high school, dropping out although his IQ is somewhere near 200.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

Nice connection. And it definitely does. I read an article somewhere that says something to the effect that by devoting his teenage years and young adulthood to chess, he pretty much crippled himself socially and emotionally, missing that part of natural development altogether. He didn't even finish high school, dropping out although his IQ is somewhere near 200.

Hang on there a second... This is something that has always really bugged me. Genius does NOT come at a price. There have been plenty of well-adjusted, happy geniuses. Lots of them. Igor Stravinsky, say. Fact of the matter is, studies have indicated that mental illness among the artistic and intellectual "elite" has a pretty proportionate occurrence. Our view of the Mad Genius is distorted, because it is romantic, and most people don't really want to hear about the great artist that loved his wife and kids and worked about 40 hours a week. There's a psychologist that has been doing very interesting work on the connection between artistic talent and mental illness in the jazz world -- I think her name is Schlesinger, but I'm too busy to look her up. She hasn't found any connection at all and has been actively and valiantly trying to debunk the myth for a long time. It doesn't take because it's just more fun to talk about screwed up geniuses.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

Hang on there a second... This is something that has always really bugged me. Genius does NOT come at a price. There have been plenty of well-adjusted, happy geniuses. Lots of them. Igor Stravinsky, say. Fact of the matter is, studies have indicated that mental illness among the artistic and intellectual "elite" has a pretty proportionate occurrence. Our view of the Mad Genius is distorted, because it is romantic, and most people don't really want to hear about the great artist that loved his wife and kids and worked about 40 hours a week. There's a psychologist that has been doing very interesting work on the connection between artistic talent and mental illness in the jazz world -- I think her name is Schlesinger, but I'm too busy to look her up. She hasn't found any connection at all and has been actively and valiantly trying to debunk the myth for a long time. It doesn't take because it's just more fun to talk about screwed up geniuses.

I'm not saying that EVERY genius or great thinker or artist has to be {censored}ed up. And I'm sure we DO romanticize and dwell on the ones that were. BUT it always seems that there are more screwed up ones than there are normal ones, doesn't it? Just look down a list of great composers. For every normal family man, there seems to be an overabundance of VD and boozing and latent homoerotic naughtiness and whatnot, doesn't there?

But I'll definitely check out that Schlesinger shrink chick.

• Members

Fisher, Powell, Mingus=screwed up genius...

There may be plenty of happy geniuses around and by the same token there are surely plenty of mentally ill, screwed up idiots around but the guys we were specifically talking about don't qualify on either count.....

I don't find studies that attempt to dissect this stuff nearly as intresting as the characters that have been referenced...Debunking the myth of the mad genius.....This broad probably raised her hand in high school to ask why the teacher forgot to assign homework....Geesh. What a party pooper. I don't want anyone blackening my rose tinted shades with their goddamn science.

;)

Archived