You can't tell me that this guy's not crazy...

• Members

Yeah, that's a creepy, sad story.

Bobby has been in the news a lot this year -- it took him a couple years to find a loophole that got him out of the Japanese prison system, and there was an interview with one of the Schaap guys -- Dick's son, I think -- that I'd love to see, in which Fisher race baited Schaap into a rage. And having witnessed a member of the Shaap family in a rage personally, that's gotta be some pretty intense footage.

• Members

Originally posted by seifukusha

i cant access it? what, he is a chess champ? why is he in Japanese prison. Hes a jew but hes anti jewishish what?

someone please tell me...

Okay, briefly, but that means you'll miss a lot of it. Bobby Fischer was a typical Jewish kid from the Bronx in the late 1950s/early 1960s, except that he was better at chess than anyone before or since. Won a bunch of high-profile stuff as a teenager, then kind of disappeared altogether for a long time. Apparently became a horrible anti-Semite and anti-American while he was in Europe, and got busted for violating US sanctions against Yugoslavia by playing in a high profile Return of Bobby Fischer exhibition thing. So he ripped up his US passport and started fleeing around the world to avoid prison. Escaped to Japan, where the Japanese decided that they didn't like him either, and they held him for extradition. At which point Fischer tried all kinds of weird legal and technical hoo-hah to keep from getting deported to the waiting arms of the US judicial system and got stuck in Japanese jail. Eventually, he got himself Icelandic citizenship, just this Spring, and I guess he now lives there in exile, spewing weird, clearly paranoid brain-filth all over that website, which I wouldn't be shocked to hear has been blocked by the Korean govt.

And that's the short version. I missed a lot.

• Members
Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

Okay, briefly, but that means you'll miss a lot of it. Bobby Fischer was a typical Jewish kid from the Bronx in the late 1950s/early 1960s, except that he was better at chess than anyone before or since. Won a bunch of high-profile stuff as a teenager, then kind of disappeared altogether for a long time. Apparently became a horrible anti-Semite and anti-American while he was in Europe, and got busted for violating US sanctions against Yugoslavia by playing in a high profile Return of Bobby Fischer exhibition thing. So he ripped up his US passport and started fleeing around the world to avoid prison. Escaped to Japan, where the Japanese decided that they didn't like him either, and they held him for extradition. At which point Fischer tried all kinds of weird legal and technical hoo-hah to keep from getting deported to the waiting arms of the US judicial system and got stuck in Japanese jail. Eventually, he got himself Icelandic citizenship, just this Spring, and I guess he now lives there in exile, spewing weird, clearly paranoid brain-filth all over that website, which I wouldn't be shocked to hear has been blocked by the Korean govt.

And that's the short version. I missed a lot.

:eek: {censored}. well,i always say genius are good at one thing, and the rest of it, they just {censored} up. man. most people want to go to japan to get the chix, and he gets in jail. too bad! thanks GIN!

• Members
Originally posted by seifukusha

:eek:
{censored}. well,i always say genius are good at one thing, and the rest of it, they just {censored} up. man. most people want to go to japan to get the chix, and he gets in jail. too bad! thanks GIN!

Oh, he got a chick there, too. He married this lady who's like the head of the Japanese chess association. She's helped him get out of the hot water he's in.

And GBM, I want to hear your story about seeing a Schaap flip out. Are they jerks?

• Members

So he played an unsanctioned chess game, I don't see why the US gov't are being such a-holes about it.

How many people have never had a Cuban cigar or not gone to Cuba or thought about going to Cuba for a vacation? There's sanctions against Cuba too.

However, anti-Semitism is so not cool. In fact, it's f'ing GAY. btw, didn't Hitler have the same issue? Apparently he's Jewish (since his mom was Jewish)? :confused:

• Members
Originally posted by Kestral

So he played an unsanctioned chess game, I don't see why the US gov't are being such a-holes about it.

How many people have never had a Cuban cigar or not gone to Cuba or thought about going to Cuba for a vacation? There's sanctions against Cuba too.

However, anti-Semitism is so not cool. In fact, it's f'ing GAY. btw, didn't Hitler have the same issue? Apparently he's Jewish (since his mom was Jewish)?
:confused:

Sure, people break sanctions all the time, and they know it's illegal So they keep quiet about it. This match was a real flipping of the bird to the "Jewish controlled UN" by Fischer. Fischer reminds my a LOT of Ezra Pound, except that Pound had an enemy to formally join during WWII. And the whole broken sanction thing, while a convenient international incident, was really kind of like when they bust mafia hitmen for tax code violations -- Fischer and the US government had been after each other's throats for a long time.

(Obviously, I've been following the Bobby Fischer thing for a while. It's fascinating stuff.)

And yes, Hitler was half-Jewish, and an anti-Semite, but that's really where the similarities end. Fischer is a hateful, paranoid nutjob of an entirely different color.

(BGC, I'll tell you about the Phil Schaap incident in a little while, it's a cool story. Phil is the jazz expert of the family, and really well known in the academic circle, so it was going to come down between us eventually. Just happened early...)

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

(BGC, I'll tell you about the Phil Schaap incident in a little while, it's a cool story. Phil is the jazz expert of the family, and really well known in the academic circle, so it was going to come down between us eventually. Just happened early...)

Can't wait to hear it. Did you throw down like the lower bass player that you are? Did you call him a "jewish snake"? Did you pull the King's Indian defense on him? Or the Sicilian? Or even the Pirc (my personal favorite)? I wanna know!!!

• Members
Originally posted by Kestral

However, anti-Semitism is so not cool. In fact, it's f'ing GAY. btw, didn't Hitler have the same issue? Apparently he's Jewish (since his mom was Jewish)?
:confused:

There was also gambling involed in the Yugoslavian games. That's what he was actually in trouble for.

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

The saddest part about Bobby Fischer is that our Government really considers him some sort of threat to America.

Keep in mind the Government also considered Iraq a threat to America so the precedent had been set.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

it wasn't actually gambling. it was the mere fact that he went against bush sr.'s anti chec or yugo policies.

1999, Italy. My Commander in Chief was President Clinton and we bombed the {censored} out of the former Yugoslavia.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

Bobby Fischer is by far the greatest chess player of all time. But he's always been pretty crazy and is now even nuttier than ever. Here's his own website:

You posted the Quintet at massey hall record that feature Powell and Mingus earlier. I sense a "genius sometimes has it's price" theme.

Archived