good cheap tuner for both guitar and bass

carnederes

• Members

Originally posted by carnederes

is there anything cheaper than the TU-2 that will do?

see, i have to buy three identical tuners...

That won't get y'all tuning to exactly the same pitch, either. I you want to be that picky about it (which is fine by me), you should all tune from the same tuner. Just get a good $15-20 job (the cheap Korgs are the industry standard in the orchestral circuit), and tune to that.

• Members
Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

That won't get y'all tuning to exactly the same pitch, either. I you want to be that picky about it (which is fine by me), you should all tune from the same tuner. Just get a good $15-20 job (the cheap Korgs are the industry standard in the orchestral circuit), and tune to that.

:confused:
isn't 440 always 440?

good idea, tho. get a kickass tuner and 3 AB boxes. of course, you'd all have to wait yr turn to tune....

• Members
Originally posted by GuyaGuy

:confused:
isn't 440 always 440?

good idea, tho. get a kickass tuner and 3 AB boxes. of course, you'd all have to wait yr turn to tune....

Yes, but $15 tuners don't always put out 440. I'm assuming that the original poster had that in mind when s/he started this thread. But cheap tuners often have lower QC standards than the expensive stuff, so you're even less likely to be tuning to the same pitch if you get three of the same model cheapo.

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

Is bass really a problem for tuners?

Depends on the tuner. Not usually. Some of the cheaper guitar tuners get pretty squirrelly on low E or lower.

Strangely, the Korg CA-10 (is that the one? their cheapo pocket chromatic tuner) has maybe the best low-frequency sensitivity out there. I remember the tuba world getting all hot and bothered when they came out, beause we could finally tune our lowest octave to a reasonable standard.

• Members

Strangely, the Korg CA-10 (is that the one? their cheapo pocket chromatic tuner) has maybe the best low-frequency sensitivity out there. I remember the tuba world getting all hot and bothered when they came out, beause we could finally tune our lowest octave to a reasonable standard.

that sounds intriguing. i could settle for that.

three of these are less expensive than a single TU-2 or the like.

i could settle for those and wait til i have more money.

• Members

Did not know this about the Korgs, but that's what I was going to recommend. I've had the same GT3 for almost 15 years, and it's still going strong. I've checked it against a strobe tuner, and it's pretty darn close too.

info_GT3.jpg

Archived