best pedals through a ss amp

guitarzak

• Members

Originally posted by guitarzak

ye. fopr instance you cant run overdrive really through an ss can you? and what pedals form your experience have worked well through an ss?

you can certainly run OD into a solid state amp.

• Members
Originally posted by guitarzak

the point is i have an ss amp and am not getting a tube anytime soon. so helpful replies for my current suituation please. And im not only looking for overdrives . any pedals that will give me good sounds through a ss amp

do you mean you are looking for say, a flanger, that will sound good through an SS amp, as opposed to a flanger that'll sound good only through a tube amp? cuz its not anywhere near that black-and-white a situation.

and, what sounds good to you may sound sucky to somebody else. or vice versa.

myself, i could come up with great sounds using any pedals and any amp, but thats me. :)

• Members

the only pedals that really don't tend to work with SS amps are those that significantly raise your volume (gain). therefore a lot of boost pedals and some overdrives. some of these pedals can increase your signal by a lot of dBs, which in a tube amp can produce a pleasant overdrive and compression, but in an SS amp can have nasty side effects. that's not to say you can't use boost and overdrive pedals with an SS amp, you can but you have to set them differently and they don't always work as well.

beyond that any other effect will work fine with an SS amp. how good it sounds will depend on your amp, your rig and your tone.

• Members

what for amp are you talkin about.

some ss amps react great to all kind of pedals, just like tube amps (exept boosters and od fern already talked about). and there are some very nice ss amps. so.

i still have a vox valvetone , for instance that sounded great with a sessionette 75 (ss amp) and i think every ts (clone) will sound great.

it depends on the sounds you are after and on your budget.

• Members

Originally posted by fernmeister

the only pedals that really don't tend to work with SS amps are those that significantly raise your volume (gain). therefore a lot of boost pedals and some overdrives. some of these pedals can increase your signal by a lot of dBs, which in a tube amp can produce a pleasant overdrive and compression, but in an SS amp can have nasty side effects. that's not to say you can't use boost and overdrive pedals with an SS amp, you can but you have to set them differently and they don't always work as well.

beyond that any other effect will work fine with an SS amp. how good it sounds will depend on your amp, your rig and your tone.

I've always found boosts work well with SS, never had any problems getting a good sound.

• Members

Originally posted by RossCompress

Two of our pedals work well. Our TS9 mod and the Fuzz Head believe it or not! The FH was a real surprise! Sounds awesome!

I hope that helps!

Robert

Yep, my Fuzz Head really improves the sound of my little Fender ss amp. I just roll off guitar volume for a clean sound, it's much better than the amp alone.

Archived