why did mercury rev begin to suck?

light years

• Members

Originally posted by light years

All is dream was blah and now the secret migration is really bad.

i have all thier others. Boces i think is the best feed back/fuzz/noise/pop album there is. what say ye??

The last couple of records seem neutered of the edge and muscle that flexed beneath the surface of Deserters' Songs and often broke that surface in the earlier work. To my ears it is the difference between a great psych-pop band and a bland indie band with some atmosphere.

Check out Hopewell's Birds of Appetite record for some Mercury Revving that, while struggling to drag itself out from under the weight of their influences, is still one of the best far-out pop records of the past few years.

• Members

Most purists will say the started sucking after Baker left the band. I disagree. They started sucking after "See you on the other side"...which was IMO their most uniquely iconic record. They really found their voice with that one. After that I just chalk it up to getting old and getting boring.....and in a way, being boring garnered them more critical acclaim than being good. They followed a less dramatic version of the trajectory the flaming lips took...from inspiration, quickly past a short period of truly finding their voice, and directly into placating boring indie poop.

• Members

i have "the curved glass" by hopewell, its wonderfull. i can hoestly say that ive loved every song on every album. but then it got spotty with their last two. "the dark is rising" brings me to tears and "in a funny way" is all spector. i was just used to everything being great. i think "meth of a rockets kick" is a fav off

boces. " "cony island cyclone" of yr self is steem. "everlasting arm"

from see you. "holes" on deserters. beautiful, {censored}ed up songs

• Members

Criminy, I saw them opening for the Doves earlier this year... it was so absurd I thought I must have been hallucinating. Cheesed out Faerie-Age adult contemporary performed by a chubby guitar dude wearing sunglasses in a dark rock club with his shirt half unbuttoned and a lead singer with fluffy pirate sleeves throwing the audience the most ridiculously overwrought community-theatre gestures with a powerpoint presentation flickering behind them featuring silly graphics of molecules and dolphins spinning through galaxies with phrases like "do your best!" "you are made of light... everything is!" and "if you stopped dreaming... would you stop existing?"

...phew.

• Members

Originally posted by Weatherbox

Criminy, I saw them opening for the Doves earlier this year... it was so absurd I thought I must have been hallucinating. Cheesed out Faerie-Age adult contemporary performed by a chubby guitar dude wearing sunglasses in a dark rock club with his shirt half unbuttoned and a lead singer with fluffy pirate sleeves throwing the audience the most ridiculously overwrought community-theatre gestures with a powerpoint presentation flickering behind them featuring silly graphics of molecules and dolphins spinning through galaxies with phrases like "do your best!" "you are made of light... everything is!" and "if you stopped dreaming... would you stop existing?"

...phew.

So I guess you're not going to be a fan of my new band, then, huh? We were going to try and start up the galactic-dolphincore movement.

• Members

...phew.

oh god I hope you're joking...? I agree they started to suck a while ago, but this is kicking into another level of suckiness.

• Members

Originally posted by teardrop

oh god I hope you're joking...? I agree they started to suck a while ago, but this is kicking into another level of suckiness.

The Washington Post reviewed the show... their review of Rev was something like (and I'm not exaggerating much here) "what the {censored} did I just see?"

• Members

Truth be told, I was just bitter I hadn't thought of it first.

:(

Before I mentioned dolphincore, I was going to make a remark that my upcoming album was going to be called "Sea Shanties from Pluto," and then I realized that as stupid as that sounds, I sort of liked it. Even "Space Shanties"....you've revealed how truly dorky I am.

• Members

After hearing Coney Island Cyclone from Yerself Is Steam and being blown away, it was all downhill from there. But, granted that song is starting from a pretty high point. I liked See You on the Other Side and even tolerated Deserter's Songs for what it was. I gave up after I heard a couple of tunes from All Is Dream. Blech.

Coney Island Cyclone is pure sonic bliss, though.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

Before I mentioned dolphincore, I was going to make a remark that my upcoming album was going to be called "Sea Shanties from Pluto," and then I realized that as stupid as that sounds, I sort of liked it. Even "Space Shanties"....you've revealed how truly dorky I am.

space shanties. I like that.

• Members

I first saw Mercury Rev open for My Bloody Valentine. The ticket typo'ed the name as Mercury Red. I have loved them ever since. After Boces, David Baker (IIRC) left the band and a lot of the tension went too. Grasshopper still is a brilliant guitarist (his Luna work for instance), but I agree as the music has lost the chaos, it has lost its charm to me. It is too "Supertramp".

Archived