the most "effective" moments involving effects on record. (get it? "FX!")

GuyaGuy

• Members

Just today I listened to Genesis - Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, and was struck (for about the 1000th time in my life) by this cool effects treatment that Peter Gabriel used on his voice in the beginning of "Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging". ACtually, I suspect that Brian Eno thought this up.

Each phrase is treated with a very different effect, which makes the whole lyric seem like some strange patchwork of radio transmissions from another planet.

Hmmm. Guess you had to be there.

=========
"It's the last great adventure left to mankind"
Screams a drooping lady
Offering her dream dolls
At less-than-extortionate prices
And as the notes and coins
Are taken out
I'm taken in
To the factory floor

• Members

Originally posted by UncleDig

Just today I listened to Genesis - Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, and was struck (for about the 1000th time in my life) by this cool effects treatment that Peter Gabriel used on his voice in the beginning of "Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging". ACtually, I suspect that Brian Eno thought this up.

that is a great effect. On the same album, the guitar solo on Counting Out Time has a great tremolo/wavering pitch bend effect on it. the effect unit was the Synthi Hi-Fli (definitely analog in 73/74) or something like that. I think David Gilmour also had that same effect. It was like a wanna-be guitar synth before they actually made guitar synths.

• Members

Check out the last track on Sleater Kinney's The Woods (I believe its called Night Light). Excellent use of delay (I think they used a DD-20) with reverse delay and a really cool leslie/vibe/pan type of effect. My favorite track in the past year.

• Members

There's a song on a record called 'Uncle Moe's Space Ranch" that is titled: "Tjhelmerich@earthlink.net". It features a solo by Helmerich that was recorded, taken to a masteringhouse in LA and pressed onto vinyl. Back in the studio he put it on a turntable, scratched it like a DJ and edited the scratched parts into the actual solo. The result sounds like some mega-whammy pedal. A very cool idea and I don't think anyone has ever done that before. It's quite unique and 'effective'.

• Members

Radiohead - Paranoid Android
just the envelope filter kind of effect used near the end when it kicks off, just adds perfectly to the kind of frantic mad sound going on there and sounds utterly awesome

Radiohead - My Iron Lung
the harmoniser used in the intro and through the song, not very music, but adds in a eerie odd sound to the song, it is a pretty harsh and unusable effect at times, but here it just fits in perfectly with the nice arpeggio type playing to change it into something awesome sounding and pretty unique

U2 - almost everything
i cant remember all the specific songs, but the edges use of delay is brilliant, he basically uses it as an instrument in his playing giving U2 a lot of the spacious cool sound

David

• Members

Originally posted by henk

There's a song on a record called 'Uncle Moe's Space Ranch" that is titled: "Tjhelmerich@earthlink.net". It features a solo by Helmerich that was recorded, taken to a masteringhouse in LA and pressed onto vinyl. Back in the studio he put it on a turntable, scratched it like a DJ and edited the scratched parts into the actual solo. The result sounds like some mega-whammy pedal. A very cool idea and I don't think anyone has ever done that before. It's quite unique and 'effective'.

Andre LaFosse, one of my obscure guitar heroes, does something like this on the fly with an EDP.

http://www.altruistmusic.com

(check out the Echoplex analysis pages)

• Members

I was going to make fun of this thread, and then I remembered... On Laughing Stock by Talk Talk, I can't be bothered to look up the track, but there's one that opens and closes with just the sound of an amp with heavy tremolo, no instruments, just the background noise of a distortion pedal and a little 60 Hz. It's really effective and has a lot to do with why I actually like noisy pedals.

• Members

Each phrase is treated with a very different effect, which makes the whole lyric seem like some strange patchwork of radio transmissions from another planet.

=========

"It's the last great adventure left to mankind"

Screams a drooping lady

Offering her dream dolls

At less-than-extortionate prices

And as the notes and coins

Are taken out

I'm taken in

To the factory floor

Great stuff. Love how the reverb changes on the last two lines.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

I was going to make fun of this thread, and then I remembered... On Laughing Stock by Talk Talk, I can't be bothered to look up the track, but there's one that opens and closes with just the sound of an amp with heavy tremolo, no instruments, just the background noise of a distortion pedal and a little 60 Hz. It's really effective and has a lot to do with why I actually like noisy pedals.

Myrrhman

• Members

=========

That was cool, and how he changes his voice to sound just like Phil when he sings "where the Raven flies, there's jeopardy"

;)

• Members
Originally posted by analogmike

That was cool, and how he changes his voice to sound just like Phil when he sings "where the Raven flies, there's jeopardy"

;)

;)

Not only is analogmike an effects genius, he's also an obscure Genesis trivia champion.

I wonder if Phil got payed extra for that?

Archived