Polvo appreciation thread

• Members

Originally posted by delorean

dunno, not familiar with them.

anyhoo, i've been really digging the AmRep "dope guns" comps lately. anyone else?

Is that the one with the really troubling "They're california boys and girls/And they're all naked/Just for you, dude"? song at the end, cos it rules if it is.

• Members

Originally posted by pontiusplaymate

I've always been curious about the gear that polvo used...they'd get some great sounding synthy fuzz going that blew my mind. I've come close with various fuzzes and a back cocked wah.

Yeah, I've idley wondered bout this before as well. Pre-boutique but definitely still in the period when 60s and 70s could be picked up for pennies on the dollar. Graphic fuzz maybe? Microsynth?

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

Yeah, I've idley wondered bout this before as well. Pre-boutique but definitely still in the period when 60s and 70s could be picked up for pennies on the dollar. Graphic fuzz maybe? Microsynth?

I found some interview on the net years ago that said Ash used a Fernandes strat copy, a DOD Classic Fuzz and some solid-state amp that I can't remember. And of course, they used oddball tunings.

• Members

Originally posted by airship71

I found some interview on the net years ago that said Ash used a Fernandes strat copy, a DOD Classic Fuzz and some solid-state amp that I can't remember. And of course, they used oddball tunings.

Hmm I wonder if they had some EQ pedal in the mix as well. Maybe the amp was a Lab Series with those quasi-parametric filters.

• Members

ok get these albums if you like sebadoh or if you want to get your early 90s rock on.

Sebadoh Harmacy

Don Caberrelo for respect

Rodan Rusty

June of 44 engine takes to water

shellac at action park

The jesus lizards Goat

Drive like Jehu Yank Crime

pavement mowiezowie

slint spiderland

These are album thats are definative moments in early 90s indie rock movement.

• Members

harmacy is when sebadoh started to decline IMO. i prefer bakesale, bubble & scrape, smash your head on the punk rock, & III.

polvo was good. i saw them a few times & they didn't do much for me, but then i saw them play two nights in a row with pavement and i GOT IT. they were awesome & completely blew pavement off the stage...

i concur with some of your recommendations, though...

rodan rusty (really awesome)

jesus lizard goat, also liar

one album in a similar vein as polvo that i love, but no one else seems to care about is pitchblende's au jus.

Archived