Is it just me, OR is Elvis Costello God?

• Members

So I am sitting here listening to THE MAN!

Some dodgy moments, BUT in general, I am constantly amazed by this man. Amazing band of course....The Attractions and all sorts of supporting members over the years.

So....fave EC song/lyrics and why?

Mine has to be Watching The Detectives.....

"She's filing her nails while they're draggin the lake!"

Icy cold imagery.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by capnbringdown

Just you. I don't get what's supposed to be so good about this geek.

What is it you don't like about his music?

I am just curious. You are one of the few in my "travels" that I have heard say this.

• Members

Originally posted by adolf

What is it you don't like about his music?

I am just curious. You are one of the few in my "travels" that I have heard say this.

I don't know, there's something that's always bothered me about him beyond his physical appearance. I think I had his greatest hits cds, but nothing about his music really knocked me out. When I hear him, I kind of think of someone trying to be the Police; I'm not sure if that's just me. Like I said, I don't get him. Maybe I should just pick up one of his albums, but in my experience, if I hadn't liked what was considered their greatest hits, I probably won't like the album cuts.

• Members

Apparently there are others who disagree with you adolf. If it was just me, I could kind of see it. Most of the people I listen to are dead anyways; either that or their bands are broken up, and they have become a shell of their former glory. But you know me, I'm only here to start trouble.

• Members

Originally posted by Montag

well, im an atheist, and i happen to believe in mr costello

that said, his live album with frisell is teh secks (but frisell could {censored} in a box id most likely adore it)

Not an atheist... But I think Costello is among the gods. Anybody watch that tribute he did for ole Joe Strummer at the Grammy's years back?

• Members

Not God, but he's really good.
One of my favorite Costello songs is The Comedians. If there's a heaven, it may look like the stage at the Black and White night with Roy Orbison and friends. If I remember well, Tom Waits was there too!

• Members

Originally posted by Eddie

One of my favorite Costello songs is The Comedians. If there's a heaven, it may look like the stage at the Black and White night with Roy Orbison and friends. If I remember well, Tom Waits was there too!

Ah! Why do people take things so literally?

I have no beef with anyone not seeing his skills the way I do, great thing about life....we all have different view points.

Whilst I expected some negativity, I am surprised there are not more fans of his vast volume of work.

Oh! well...an idle musing on my behalf!

Listen to Armed Forces OR Get Happy and see if you can't find glimpses of brilliance.

I am not talking about his guitar playing.....Good as it is, in a non "hero" way....listen to his tone if you ever see the VH1 Story Teller version of Alison!

He is probably one of the most revered songwriters we have left.

As for the band.....You wont find many better than the original Attractions.

Just my opinion.

Like I said, I am stunned at the lack of appreciation for this amazing talent.

• Members

Originally posted by Montag

well, im an atheist, and i happen to believe in mr costello

that said, his live album with frisell is teh secks (but frisell could {censored} in a box id most likely adore it)

Thank you!

I too use the G word in a non religious word.....if one can do such a thing.

Listen to Veronica with Sir M. playing bass on it, or God Give Me Strength with Burt.

Not too shabby!

• Members

Originally posted by fx-freak

Agreement. Is there even a real guitarist in the band?

If you would listen to his guitar playing in any of the MANY albums...well, I guarantee MOST people on this forum only wish they could play so well....No offence intended...for once!

Have a listen OR go and look a the tablature....I know so many pro guitar players who hold this man in the highest regard.....Major pro players!

Anyway....

I am merely stating an opinion and was hoping for more of an exchange.

I feel I may have been wasting my time....?

Luckily I got all the other stuff done whilst this sunk like a stone.

What say you Rev? Fan or not?

• Members

Originally posted by Eddie

Oh my goodness, yes!!! Roy IS God! And he took Elvis' tune and made it sublime. Mystery Girl is up there with Licensed to Ill and GnR Lies as my album of the 80s. Hell, it blows those two away! I even LOVE the U2 tune on there!

And I'm an Elvis fanatic, too. I think he's a hell of a songwriter. Problem with him is, his songwriting's gone to {censored}, while his voice has gotten better. So now he's just pretty much a straight Elton John who can't even play piano, but is married to the woman of my dreams. That being said, when I saw him live in '99, it BLEW me away. Just him and Steve Naeve on piano. I was working stage security and spent the whole show running back and forth from stage right to stage left, totally ditching my job, so that I could take it in. This show was less than a month before my brother had his Jesus-meeting, so he was, at the time, as big of a fan of Elvis' as there could've been. So, since the show was sold out, I had him dress up in dress clothes and snuck him in as an usher and he got to watch the show from the front in the aisle.

• Members

He's good, very good. Somebody who writes songs like "I want you" is among the greatest.
Also the stuff with Bacharach is great (but not the follow-up), very emotional. Although I did need to get used to that vibrato (voice) once he started doing all those ballads.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

Oh my goodness, yes!!! Roy IS God! And he took Elvis' tune and made it sublime.
Mystery Girl
is up there with
Licensed to Ill
and
GnR Lies
as my album of the 80s. Hell, it blows those two away! I even LOVE the U2 tune on there!

And I'm an Elvis fanatic, too. I think he's a hell of a songwriter. Problem with him is, his songwriting's gone to {censored}, while his voice has gotten better. So now he's just pretty much a straight Elton John who can't even play piano, but is married to the woman of my dreams. That being said, when I saw him live in '99, it BLEW me away. Just him and Steve Naeve on piano. I was working stage security and spent the whole show running back and forth from stage right to stage left, totally ditching my job, so that I could take it in. This show was less than a month before my brother had his Jesus-meeting, so he was, at the time, as big of a fan of Elvis' as there could've been. So, since the show was sold out, I had him dress up in dress clothes and snuck him in as an usher and he got to watch the show from the front in the aisle.

Roy Orbison....

Amazing talent indeed.....I will need to hear that version!

Him and Steve are incredible to watch...After so many years of playing together.

I am with you on the songwriting front...It has been patchy for many years BUT I will take 3-4 songs per album vs most of the dross out there nowadays.

Monkey to man is a damned good song as is Nothing clings like Ivy.

So, seeing as you too are a fan, back to my original statement which no one seems to have grabbed....Fave song/lyric and why?

Did your brother enjoy the show?

• Members

Originally posted by Yek

He's good, very good. Somebody who writes songs like "I want you" is among the greatest.

Also the stuff with Bacharach is great (but not the follow-up), very emotional. Although I did need to get used to that vibrato (voice) once he started doing all those ballads.

That song still haunts me....very psychotic....reminds me of the whole idea behind every breath you take....scary/stalker intent.

Chilling.

God Give Me Strength is probably one of the finest things he did with Burt Bacharach....IMO.

• Members

That song still haunts me....very psychotic....reminds me of the whole idea behind every breath you take....scary/stalker intent.

Chilling.

God Give Me Strength is probably one of the finest thingshe did with Burt Bacharach....IMO.

Yeah, other favorites:

Baby plays around

So like Candy

Chelsea

House is empty now

• Members

Originally posted by fernmeister

i am partial to elvis costello and really like some of the tunes he recently co-wrote with diana krall. however, I always find myself drawn more towards billy bragg and tom waits, who for some reason I find myself comparing to costello on a regular basis.

Billy Bragg is indeed a talent...Tom Waits I am still uneducated about-heard some BUT not much...I need to rectify that.

Haven't heard any of the songs he has written with Mrs C.

I miss the early pissy/angry songs fueled by Bruce Thomas and his amazing bass playing!

Another interesting talent.....Mr C. rates him highly, Roddy Frame(Aztec Camera....).

I am just always stunned by his earlier work and lyrics...

Welcome to the working week...."Now that your picture's in the paper being rythmically admired" That is good, very good!

• Members

Ah! Why do people take things so literally?

...Whilst I expected some negativity, I am surprised there are not more fans of his vast volume of work...

...Like I said, I am stunned at the lack of appreciation for this amazing talent.

:confused:

I don't think I took it literally at all.
I don't think I was negative.
I do appreciate Elvis' talent.

Although I mentioned The Comedians, the first Elvis record I purchased was 2 1/2 years (4-CD box set with The Attractions).

I was actually making a point -jokingly- about who I consider more god-like than Elvis, and there are quite a few people that fall into that category, including the late Roy Orbison and Tom Waits. Leonard Cohen is another one, and I'll have to check out Billy Bragg since Fern mentioned him. I had never heard of him. Dylan also had (or has) his moments of greatness.

And then there's Serrat, Milanes, Sabina, and a few others that have set the standard quite high when it comes to song-writing. Sublime stuff indeed.

I do like Elvis Costello, think he's great, like a lot of his work, and enjoy listening/reading his interviews too. There was one where he said he was more like an old-fashioned crooner and that the record label wanted to market him as punk or new wave or something like that. I do like the guy :)

Archived