If you were to build an early Gilmour Rig...

• Members

Alright here's what ive got in my head(im trying to build myself a Gilmour-esque rig)

-Chandler/Tube Works Overdrive

-Some sort of long sustaining fuzz via Skreddy Top Fuel or something similar

-Compressor (I was going to grab the Homebrew CPR)

-Maxon PT-999 Phase Tone for those uni-vibe sounds

-Delay (I went with the Keeley DD-3)

That should definitely have you in the ballpark

• Members

What kind of amp for quiet, at home playing?

Those Reeves look nice, but they are pricey

Hey Fourth Floor, A TS9 for Gilmour?

I've honestly never used one, but I always thought of it as more of that open, bright, heavy mids, SRV sound.

The Picture wah eh?

I'll have to check one out. Too bad no body around here sells his pedals. I'll have to go to NYC.

• Members

I'm using a Gibson Goldtone GA-15RV. Its Class A EL-84, 15 watts, 6 watt mode, Volume, Tone, and Reverb controls. Celestion Vintage 30. I imagine with the pedals I listed a Gilmour sound is easily attainable. I picked it up for $450 of the HC classifieds.

• Members

Originally posted by Jakeowen

What kind of amp for quiet, at home playing?

Those Reeves look nice, but they are pricey

Hey Fourth Floor, A TS9 for Gilmour?

I've honestly never used one, but I always thought of it as more of that open, bright, heavy mids, SRV sound.

The Picture wah eh?

I'll have to check one out. Too bad no body around here sells his pedals. I'll have to go to NYC.

A light overdrive wouldn't go astray a la the Chandler Tube Driver. The Picture wah is excellent.

You could get a mini Hiwatt or a Vox Pathfinder.

But for amps, the choices are wide open really.

• Members

Originally posted by Lensrock

+some sort of boost. I was thinking of getting the Homebrew Germania

He wants an apt rig not a stage rig.

Besides, that pedal has to be nastiest thing my ears ever had to endure...pure ice pick all the way to tinnitus hell!:D

• Members

Well, Gilmour supposedly uses a Twin to record with, so what would be like a twin, but much lower power.

Also, I was kind of leaning towards Dave's rig from the Early days, before the tube drivers, and compressors, and big muff.

Thnaks for the replys, keep 'em coming.

Low power like a twin? Deluxe or Princeton Reverb. Either would rule for the twin sound at conversational levels.

• Members

I think one of the most important pieces is to buy an amp that takes pedals really well. So, a good Fender or Hiwatt would be my recommendation. You could buy used to save money there.

What works well for me:

Reeves Studio Stage MK II head (20/40 watt switchable) - very expensive though

Reeves 2X12 cabinet with Fanes

H&K Tubefactor (I use for boost)

Keeley Vintage Rat

ICBM fuzz

Keeley modded Vox wah

DD20 delay

American std strat w/ vintage hot fralin pickups

American Dlx strat

Gilmour also used 50 watt Hiwatt combos in the studio. I think the Hiwatt/Reeves circuit is a big part of his early tones and IMO the best tones he ever had.

• Members

Originally posted by Sir H C

Low power like a twin? Deluxe or Princeton Reverb. Either would rule for the twin sound at conversational levels.

I challengeyou to have a conversation with my 22W DR even at a 5 :)

But yeah...they're quieter than a twin :)

• Members

I was surprised to see someone mention a Tube Driver. But the funny thing is, the most Gilmour-sounding setup I ever had was this (and it was pretty dead on, save for a Phase 90 instead of a Univibe)...I had not intention of it ever sounding like him, and you wouldn't think it would've, but it did.

Tube Driver

Big Muff

Phase 90 (I might've had other stuff along these lines, too, can't remember...but I know this was on it...)

Crybaby

Tele (with a lace sensor in the bridge)

Carvin Belair

I wouldn't at all say to cop this, as I have no clue why it hit his sound so well. But I'm just saying that the Tube Driver DID help out with that. Those are very underrated pedals; I've had a few and always find a reason to get mad at them and sell them, but then come back to them (which I am starting to do right now :mad: ).

• Members

Originally posted by d0zerz

I challengeyou to have a conversation with my 22W DR even at a 5
:)

But yeah...they're quieter than a twin
:)

Hence the Princeton also. They are a lot quieter than a full up twin but can do damage themselves.

And if you are doing Gilmour, you probably want the amp clean, so that would be around 3.

• Members

Would a Champ do a convincing Gilmour tone?

Is there anything resembling a low power Hiwatt?

Champs sound great but break up fairly early...

I have a 71 Champ, sounds great. Especially since you can crank it to 10 and live.

Archived