If I had a little girl, you better believe she would have one of these...

hangwire

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

Will my daughter want a Daisy Rock, or one of these?

[it's a Hello Kitty guitar for those who didn't click]

Yeah, I've already shown that one to my wife, and surprisingly she approved (she does like Sanrio stuff though).

We're waiting until our daughter is old enough to pick her own instrument (she's 21 months now). She's got lots of toy instruments, and can play with my guitars and basses supervised, but we'll wait to she shows a real interest before getting one of her own.

That Daisy Rock guitar is pretty cool though. Wonder if I could get one to "share" with her...

• Members

My 18-month-old can now name several parts of the Telecaster (the Gretsches stay downstairs in the music room/basement!): "switch," "knobs," "screw," "dot" (on the fretboard), "hole" (either the input jack or the string ferrules on the back of the guitar). She also likes to look at herself in the reflection of the neck-attachment plate on the back, turn the knobs, and flip the switch back and forth. That guitar is entertaining to her even when I'm not playing the alphabet song on it for her.

• Members

Originally posted by stereotypy

why have you switched? was it a epiphone?? how do the pickups sound like?

This was a used project guitar, a beat-up Epiphone SG Special; when I got it, it had no pickups in it at all.

The Nashville is bright for a humbucker, but still fuller than a single-coil. The Brooklyn is very clear and full, and less muddy than many neck-position pickups. I have them wired out-of-phase from each other, so with both pickups on there is a very nasal and thin tone (like that of Albert Collins).

The different tailpiece and very thin, light guitar body undoubtedly have an effect on the pickups' tone; in a heavy Les Paul they may very well sound less bright.

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

My 18-month-old can now name several parts of the Telecaster (the Gretsches stay downstairs in the music room/basement!): "switch," "knobs," "screw," "dot" (on the fretboard), "hole" (either the input jack or the string ferrules on the back of the guitar). She also likes to look at herself in the reflection of the neck-attachment plate on the back, turn the knobs, and flip the switch back and forth. That guitar is entertaining to her even when I'm not playing the alphabet song on it for her.

Cool! My 21 month old has been saying bass for a while and I recently got her to say 'tar. I didn't think to start working on parts. She also likes to plug the 1/4" cable in, but sometimes tries to stick it in the bridge.

Lately she's been a knob twister too. Went into Sam Ash the other day and she was having a blast with the Digitech demo board. Every amp she can reach is fair game.

• Members

My pumpkin has this guitar, Mr. Ohbayashi bought it in Japan and sent it to her while she was in Tokyo a few years ago at Christmas time.

guitarset3.jpg

It has a built in amp and speaker. It was a little wimpy sounding and too clean. I opened it up and there was a trim pot on the board.... cranked it up and now it's 5 times louder with DISTORTION! :D

• Members
Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

p1147906reg.jpg

Well, ours is leaning against my big metal pedal-modding/guitar-repair work desk, in the basement where the kid can't get to it. (It scared her anyway!) So it's on my back burner of project ideas, but seems to supernaturally push me away when I think about picking it up to see what's inside.

If it were put in a different enclosure with a switch that could be attached to doors or windows, for example, it would give a nighttime burglar a heart attack.

Archived