Feedback ? matter of volume or gain ?

newstrat60

• Members

While I'm sure its possible, most likely with an attenuator, I think feedback results from the combination of volume, gain and the position of the pickups in relation to the speaker of the amp.

At bedroom volumes if I put my guitar right up to the speaker I'll get some feedback, but its not really controllable or desireable as an effect.

• Members

You can get feedback at conversational volumes with enough pedal gain. Hollowbody guitars help a lot here too. Still much easier with volume volume volume as when you use huge amounts of gain to get the effect you get a lot of noise too.

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

While I'm sure its possible, most likely with an attenuator, I think feedback results from the combination of volume, gain and the position of the pickups in relation to the speaker of the amp.

At bedroom volumes if I put my guitar right up to the speaker I'll get some feedback, but its not really controllable or desireable as an effect.

Yeah, I manage to get feedback in my room when I'm running an Epi Dot into a Pro Junior, with a Hotplate used to control the volume.

It wouldnt be as controlabe as it is without the Hotplate though

• Members

last night i had my OD at max gain, i stuck my strat pu's in front -pardon me- ON the speaker of my blues jr (the picture is ridiculous, i know), and... nothing, nada !!!!

then i tried to touch the cab with my neck (more ridiculouw, i know, i know) : nada again

• Members

Give the strings some help, strum then put them on the speaker. You might need more gain too. At low volumes you need gobs of gain as what you are doing for feedback is making the speaker vibrate the strings to go into the amp to the speaker to vibrate the strings. Hmm, maybe a phase reversal is needed, could be the problem. Can you switch the leads to the speaker and reverse it?

• Members

Originally posted by Sir H C

Hollowbody guitars help a lot here too.

makes all the difference in the world.

I can't get my tele to feedback unless I run 3-4 dirt boxes cranked up. my es-135 with just one fuzz gives some amazing controllable feedback, and overtones.

• Members

I have a Bluse Jr., and I just played around a bit and there is definately a volume level on the amp that makes it damn hard to get feedback, even with a cranked overdrive and silicon fuzz going. A compressor would definately help you get there.

Still, I doubt you'll get the kind of delicious feedback that comes from a cranked amp, so if thats what you want maybe look into soundproofing your walls so you can really have some fun.

• Members

I really like making harsh noises at low level. You can do anything and it doesn't bother too much. Conversely, full band level is kind of limiting unless you just don't care what anyone thinks. Ideal is a fairly moderate volume.

You will need more than 1 overdrive into a clean amp; even most distortions and fuzzes don't have enough gain. With 2 though almost anything will work.

You shouldn't have to get the guitar particularly close to the speaker either. Putting the pickups directly inline with the speaker is a recipe for uncontrolled, microphonic feedback.

Archived