Drum Trigger, Time Calibrator Thingy?? Suggestions?

jadesky

• Members

hey everybody, long time no chit-chat.

i'm dreaming of something that would be a form of a drum trigger you could attach to, say, a snare and have it A) trigger prerecorded sounds and/or act as a trigger to a patched sound on a synth and B) would ideally have some sort of calibration on it where after the drummer hits the first few beats on his/her snare, it would calculate the bpm and create a clock out at that rate that could be used for MIDI purposes and the synth/prerecorded sampled sounds application mentioned above. anybody heard of such a thing?

• Members

jade,

The first things I think of are the ddrum triggers for triggering a synth with a snare. Pretty common application, especially for metal bands that add a sampled snare/bass sound to their live rigs.

You have to send the signal to either a synth drum unit (which are made to trigger samples based on triggers like the ddrum), and/or any other synth that will trigger from analog input. YOu can use an old drum synth unit to just trigger the MIDI note, and then send that to a synth.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DEPDDTRS

For the tap tempo thing, there is a box called the "34 one" that is dedicated to taking a tap and converting it to MIDI clock.

http://www.ploytec.com/34one/

Hope that helps.

• Members

Originally posted by fernmeister

just google it.

seriously, there are lots of such products out there and quite a few DIY pages on it as well.

The dedicated "tap to MIDI clock" converter is not an easy thing to find. At one point, I was searching hard for one (without using a laptop), and the 34one was the only thng I could find.

If anyone sees another *dedicated* tap->MIDI clock converter, I'd like to hear about it, please.

Archived