What other instruments do you like?

gr8fuldodd

• Members

Originally posted by Onswah

Great Highland Bagpipes are nice, but the Uilleann(pronounces ill `un) are AMAZING

Can you quote some pop-rock songs that use them, just so that we can perhaps remember the difference? I'm not very into ethnic music... What about some Mike Oldfield albums: he often used bagpipes, but which type were they?

• Members

Organ - whatever happened to the use of this in rock music? There was some great {censored}ing rock bands with organs in them but you don't hear it anymore.

harmonica - I have attempted to play this before, but I suck and never followed through. A good blues mouth harp player can really do it for me. Neil Yong and Bob Dylan can really do it for me, too.

sitar - I like psychedellia music, and this insturment has appeared in many recordings. I've thought about picking a cheap electric one up and learning how to play it, but i'm a lazy white (and I mean white) guy with tendonitis, so it's probably not a good idea and I probably wouldn't do it anyways.

but really, I'm a Zappa fan, which has prepared me for the placement of odd insturments in certain songs. Electric violin solo? No problem. So really, I could listen to anything and as long as it fits, I have no problem with it. Listen to Jethro Tull, they have a {censored}ing flute (or is it a picolo?) and it fits remarkably well in some songs, and not so much in others.

• Members

I have a great love for the bass (electric an standup) and often find myself grooving to the bassline of a song. I just can't play them all that well. :(

Other instruments I dig are mandolins, (thank you David Grisman) banjos and accordians. I guess I really like noise.

One other instrument that tickles my fancy is the Stroh violin. Tom Waits has used them on a number of recordings. Basically the bridge is attached to a cone (like a Dobro or National) and the cone is hooked up to a horn. It was an early attempt to get more volume out of the instrument. Strange tone but I love it.

3664.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by Aster Blistok

drombulja (AKA Maultrommel, jews harp, trump, Crembalum, Brummeisen, Drummeisen, Doromb, trompa, marimbula, pirutu, trumb, jaw harp, Trummeisen, Maulbrummel, Schnarre, Mundeisen, Mauldromma, Mundharfe, drombe, brummla, Maulgeige, timpan, spassapensieri, r

Archived