Who here plays the Top Hat King Royale?

• Members

The 20 watt Club Royale and Club Deluxe amps are notoriously horrid with pedals. The KIng Royale has 2 channels, one preamp channel which is identical to that of the Club Royale. Maybe the other channel is better with pedals? Not sure, I'd ask at the TopHat forum. Although nobody there would ever say anything negative. It's kind of a cult me thinks. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by wembleyisgreen

Yeah the tophats hate pedals. The tophats are strange sounding amps to me. In the boutique realm I like divided by 13 and savage amps.

I tried a RMC1 into a Tophat 1x12 combo and it sounded like buttah. I would imagine a decent overdrive would go well, too.

• Members

I've owned a couple of Top Hats for a couple of years now - both the Club Deluxe and the Ambassador. Top Hats don't hate pedals - like any other amp out there - they like certain pedals and other pedals don't sound as good thru them - also depends upon the guitar - some pedals shine better with buckers -some single coils.

I also own the Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 - and quite frankly the gain sounds so {censored}ing lucious thru it that I've only pushed it with some boosts and no distortion pedals. It's all relative -and subjective. I'd hang on to the Bad Cat until you can personally try out a Top Hat - these are expensive amps and so I would have to recommend to anyone to try before you buy in this price range. :cool:

• Members

I love my tophat.

I have the club royale and I use a fulldrive with it and occasionally a Keeley baked tubescreamer. Both sound fine.

mosfet style pedals like the Liquid sunshine sound much better through it. The Baron Boost sounded amazing through it, as did the HBE germania. Or whatever their treble boost was called.

I also use a soulbender for fuzz which sounds fine and a rat which works as well.

When people say it doesn't go well with pedals, I would say that it sounds better with certain overdrives than others. I think the fulldrive sounds fine through it and that's what I use. Although I admit the fulldrive sounds better on a Fender.

But all other fx pedals it takes fantastically.

But even at that, there's a mod you can do which is basically clipping a wire to a pot...high pass filter or something (I don't know my electronics) that supposedly makes it better as well with overdrives. I haven't done this yet. I'd like to try it just to see.

I will say that they're not fantastic bedroom amps but once you open it up a bit. My band is playing lots of Beatles & other 60s style stuff...small faces and the who and all of that and the Tophat paired with the Fulldrive is just perfect.

• Members

Originally posted by Echotraveler

im not sure what happening on the forums about homosexuality.....im starting to get sick of it...arnt you guys old enough to be sure of what you are???

you guys look like kids...

sorry for the high jacking...

what are you gay or something??

Archived