Tried the new Vox Cooltron Bulldog...

Speeddemon

• Members

very SHARP, very NOT tubelike, very flabby gain, very sharp, quite some output though, did I mention sharp?

I tried it on 2 totally different amps (30W Vox amp and a Marshall Valvestate 8040) on the clean channels. I figured it would be a sort of pimped-up Tubefactor, with better EQ-ing...

BOY was I wrong!

The treble knob HAD to be below 9 o' clock, otherwise it might invoke the Mosquito King or something. Same with the Gain 2 voicing. From 9 o' clock to full it was sharp, and later on scooped, and between 7 and 9 o clock, it had a more smooth, liquid tone, but this was TOO treble-less.

The gain sounded flabby, although it does definitely have more gain than the Tubefactor. But it totally had that starved plate thing going on, instead of lush REAL (290V) tube overdrive.

Disrecommended, but do try it yourself, just for fun.

• Members

Rev, if you want a GOOD realistic tube distortion PEDAL (before someone advises an amp ;-) )

either the H&K Tubefactor, or the Tonebone Hot British will do.

Oh, and the Ibanez Tube King ain't that bad either, after a little modding. A good friend of mine is sort of cloning that one, but differently, incl. a 12AX7 in a 1590BB! :eek: And yes, it seems to fit, as narrow as it may be.

• Members

Originally posted by fernmeister

did you measure the plate voltage? just curious about this comment...

No I haven't. I don't usually bring a multimeter to a guitar store when I wanna try out something. :p

But if it works on 9V DC, AND can be operated from batteries alone, do you think the plate voltage would exceed 50V? (where the minimum requirement for 'good tube sound' would be at least 150-180V).

Archived