deluxe memory man overload....is there a fix?

ode2no1

• Members

so a few months ago i sold my 3 channel amp and ive been using my 70's bassman 50 as my main amp....so obviously ive had to make the switch to using pedals for gain. well in this case my DMM has moved to the end of my chain...after all my dirt pedals...which CONSTANTLY overload it. i like a slight boost in volume with my distortion to hit the amp a little harder, but when the memory man overloads i cant hear the delayed effect until i stop playing. its almost like a ducking delay....is there any way to fix this? i mean, if nothing else i can use it for clean stuff and use my dd-6 for distorted delays, but id love to be able to use the DMM for both.

• Members

it is true bypass. the problem is that when its on at the same time as my distortion pedals (either a modded turbo rat or a soul bender at the moment) its constantly overloaded...and the delay effect is completely inaudible. i cant hear the delay until i stop playing...when it isnt overloading anymore.

• Members

you know...i havent even opened it since i got it but i dont think it was modded to be TB...i got it from a forumite. the volume pot doesnt work when the pedal is off and it doesnt overload when its bypassed. its just that the signal is overdriving the pedal and it wont allow the delay to come thru until the input level drops down to a certain point. is there maybe some sort of input level mod or something? that way the input level can be dropped and i can bring it back up with the pedals volume. i guess if nothing else i can build up a volume cut pedal and stick that and the DMM in a TB loop with the cut pedal dropping the volume down and the DMM bringing it back up. seems like a lot of hassle though.

• Members

Well, it sounds like it is TB'd.

I don't know what to tell you. I run ALOT of gain into my DMM and I don't have a problem.

I assume you've tried with different distortions and on all different settings of the pedal's pots. I don't know, maybe there are trim pots inside (probably are). Perhaps you can trem the Blend knob and the master volume knob.

I do know there are a significant number of modifications out there for it. Because it is such a great delay, if I had the problem, I would send it to one of the modders; such as the aforementioned "Howard Davis."

(Who is this by the way?)

• Members

it isnt the distortion thats screwing things up, its the volume of the distortion. i play fairly loud and my amp is slightly breaking up, so i can set the volume of my pedals pretty high and not get a huge volume boost, but hit the amp harder. its just that the volume going into the DMM is causing problems and i dont want to change my gain sound by turning the volume down at the pedal.

• Members

Originally posted by ode2no1

it isnt the distortion thats screwing things up, its the volume of the distortion. i play fairly loud and my amp is slightly breaking up, so i can set the volume of my pedals pretty high and not get a huge volume boost, but hit the amp harder. its just that the volume going into the DMM is causing problems and i dont want to change my gain sound by turning the volume down at the pedal.

to me it sounds more like you're overloading the input to your amp... this is exactly what will happen when you set your amp to "slightly breaking up" then try to use pedals out front for delay or other modulation, they get buried when you try to slam the front end with a distortion pedal. Effects loop on the amp? That could help by running the delay in the amp effects loop.

edit: sorry I see you're using a bassman. Not much you can do then. Turn down some.

• Members

Originally posted by Wilbo26

Get Howard Davis to set it up for you. I got mine from him and I can pump tons of gain into it and still get a solid delay.

+1

one of his main DMM mods is to increase the headroom capabilities.

The man does great work.

• Members

hmmm..you know, i guess i never thought about it being the amp and not the pedal. i'll go try it out with the amp way down low and the rat volume set where it normally is and see if i can hear the delays....if i can then yeah its the amp being overloaded.

• Members

i just got a used DMM and i'm having some problems with it.dry signal but no effected sig,when i switch it on it pops loud,it was just working pretty good a second ago but then i bypassed it and switched it back on and just got loud pops.also when i have it on in effect mode with nothing plugged in,i can tap on it and the overload LED lights up,is that normal?

Archived