Anyone have a cheap tube amp for sale?

• Members

i dont know about the newer epis, but i will say that the older galaxie 10 (true class A unlike the galaxie25) sounds really good AFTER you swap the tubes with a jan5751 preamp and an sed6L6gc powertube. it really warms up and ive tried other tube combinations that did not do the magic

also swapping the speaker can make things even more smooth. i know, it sounds like alot to have to also buy tubes and hunt for a speaker but its well worth it IMO. after doing these things to mine about 2 years ago ive sold off my SF champ, blues jr., and peavey classic 30 because those amps just didnt get played anymore and to me none were anywhere near as responsive or "squishy" -

i know the C30 is much more of a workhorse and can hang with a band but i already have a jcm800 for the really loud stuff

anyway, its not for hi-gain tones though. the 5751 is less hot than a 12ax7 so you actually lower the gain. but the thing is its only 10 watts (i think its actually even less than that, maybe 6-7) and when you start turning it up it really has a smooth, round, squishy tone with a very elastic-like response. it is great for blues/jazz or anything that does not need alot of gain, and it takes OD pedals really well.

i just wanted to throw that at you, im a huge fan of small combos to turn up inside and this is one of my favorites for that, after swapping tubes/speaker. it really sounds pretty harsh and brittle in its stock form - which is sad because it really does warm up and change into such a sweet amp after tweaked. i added an extension jack in the back and made it into a head - but recently switched it back to combo because i like to take it places!

• Members

Originally posted by goodbye,beautiful

May have to pull the trigger on one of those epis. Anyone have an old used one for cheaper? I just don't wanna spend alot for my house amp.

those things are not very good in my opinion. Dull, muddy, farty sounding. A Roland microcube would be MUCH better. Don't be so hung up on tubes man.

Archived