Vintage & Rare Shop in London

Bruno

• Members

Jeez, just like everything in London...ridiculously expensive.

For me, at least...Although the cost is higher for Londoners in real terms too.

Where do you guys get most of your gear? Is it cheaper for you to buy from overseas stores even with the shipping?

Hell, I ship packages to friends in Germany all the time and it isn't that expensive.

Down the street, I could pick up, say, the HBE Germacide for approx. 78 pounds and I think shipping would be between 4-6 pounds.

London is one of the two greatest cities in the world that have no other rivals (NYC being the other) but man does living in such an incredible city cost you.

• Members
Originally posted by fernmeister

did you get to new king's road guitar emporium? stock in rock oriented guits is every bit as good, but a nicer store (IMHO).

personally i always feel a deep desire to disinfect my whole body after going to denmark street.

yup, I went there once...but it was shut for some reason :(

they don't usualy have many offsets, so I guess that's why I haven't made many attempts to go down there...

:)

• Members
Originally posted by zhivago

yup, I went there once...but it was shut for some reason
:(

they don't usualy have many offsets, so I guess that's why I haven't made many attempts to go down there...

yes they tend to have a lot of good guitars there (though they also have an alarming number of 70s teles, which I used to like giving them {censored} about...).

• Members

yes they tend to have a lot of good guitars there (though they also have an alarming number of 70s teles, which I used to like giving them {censored} about...).

they have a '59 Jazzmaster like the one I'm looking for, but it's got issues that do not warrant 2.3k....

• Members

they have a '59 Jazzmaster like the one I'm looking for, but it's got issues that do not warrant 2.3k....

What about the other one you were looking at?

I was there on Saturday, played a Big Muff in Music Ground. They wanted

• Members

but I HATE it when a shop demands so much money and is shifty about what's original and what not.
:mad:

that just screams stay away...

...mind you, that is pretty insane money for a guitar like that in anything other than super-collectable mint condition, if you ask me.

seriously though dude; for that sort of cash it would make more sense to buy a cheap flightover to the US and buy one. that is far from unheard of in pro music circles (not just guitar) in the UK.

;):)

• Members

it's the fiesta red '59 at Vintage & Rare...I'll go play it...but it has issues.

for 2.6k, it's got a body refin (I don't care), a neck refin (I
DO
care!!), and the gold guard looked a bit funny the last time I saw it.

it's had a refret with jumbo frets (would have to try it out)

plus, the knobs and pup selector and tremolo look new, but the shop guy is playing dumb....I don't really care much about it - but I HATE it when a shop demands so much money and is shifty about what's original and what not.
:mad:

bottom line, it ain't worth the cash

so

I'll get some money together, and look out for one, so I can play it and if I like it, buy it on the spot.

importing one is 99.9% out of the question as the tax will be ridiculous...at least 600 quid!
:eek:

I'll get it, one day....soon....very soon....

You could probably get a flight to the states for less, get a cheap Jazzmaster to take this way, return with a good one...

• Members

that just screams stay away...

...mind you, that is pretty insane money for a guitar like that in anything other than super-collectable mint condition, if you ask me.

seriously though dude; for that sort of cash it would make more sense to buy a cheap flightover to the US and buy one. that is far from unheard of in pro music circles (not just guitar) in the UK.

;):)

you have a point...the only thing is, all the ones I've seen in the shops in the States are all original and minty...and they are like $7k or something :(

I'll need to get a refin of some sort...

basicaly, I don' mind dropping loads of money on a guitar if it's gonna be my main instrument....and...it'll be hard finding the right one...but I'm determined :)

• Members
Originally posted by Sir H C

You could probably get a flight to the states for less, get a cheap Jazzmaster to take this way, return with a good one...

they're pretty expensive in the states too, as they usualy have all-originalk examples :(

• Members

they're pretty expensive in the states too, as they usualy have all-originalk examples

They promote their all original examples but they have the others in the shops too. Since they are getting over a K regardless of condition, there is money to be made, so people will have them.

• Members

not one with an anodised guard.

they haven't been produced for almost 50 years.

plus, it's an ownership thing...I just want one...even if I build a repro, I'll always crave the real thing...it's just part of my character, I just like old things

...I'll sell loads of my gear, so it won't cost me anything, really :)

I should be able to gather 3k soonish from my gear-purge + some freelance work pay...

then, the hunt is on :)

Archived