80s DOD 250 vs. modded RI DOD 250 (3 amps)

gregovertone

• Members

i had time for a brief tonal review tonite....

2 great condish dod 250's.

- original 80's yellow

-ri, modded to gray specs

gtr: PRS cu22 semi-hollow

amps tested:

-fender blues jr

-vox ac30cc2x

-marshall 1987x 50 watt plexi ri.

INTERESTING!!!!!

on each amp, you could hear the basic differences....

the 80's 250 was much more shrill, and a bit harsh on the top end/high mids. overall, id say it has a bit of a scooped sound.

the ri. was a little more balanced in tone, and was more pleasant to listen to.

when the gain was cranked on the RI, it was at about 3pm on the 80's. the gains were still similar, but i found the tone on the original to be more abrasive.

i can't say it was good or bad-- just obviously a heaver sound.

Blues Junior

i dont think either pedal was much of a match for the bj. the tones just arent that compatible.

Vox

i thought the RI shined on the vox....very gritty, but not too harsh......with a little tweak of the treble on the amp, it really sang. same settings, switched to the 80's.........HARSH. unpleasant. total re-adjusting of the knobs.....i got closer to a useable tone, but i definitely preferred the ri.

Marshall

i have always used my 80's with the plexi. never had an issue. i think these pedals tend to compliment a marshall voiced amp. the RI sounded good, but not as good as the 80's. i think the scooped sound of the 80's balanced out the tone of the marshall a bit. the blended sooo nicely. the RI sounded damned good, but almost took a bit of life outta the amp, instead of really opening it up, as it did with the vox.....

its really amazing how pedals react with different amps.

makes you really contemplate the amount of great tones out there....

$.02

• Members

interesting . . .

I have a YJM which is supposedly based on YJM's favorite Grey 250 pedal

and . . . an Analogman YJM modded to real Grey specs . . . haha nice to have an LED in there to see when its on.

The stock YJM is a touch harsher in the gain department so I use that one when I really want to rock out, and the modded one when I want it a touch more mellow with slightly more bass def.

I've used both with a Fender Pro Jr. and they work ok with it - but you are right they like a Marshall type amp best.

• Members

Originally posted by stratsyndrome

interesting . . .

I have a YJM which is supposedly based on YJM's favorite Grey 250 pedal

and . . . an Analogman YJM modded to real Grey specs . . . haha nice to have an LED in there to see when its on.

The stock YJM is a touch harsher in the gain department so I use that one when I really want to rock out, and the modded one when I want it a touch more mellow with slightly more bass def.

I've used both with a Fender Pro Jr. and they work ok with it - but you are right they like a Marshall type amp best.

id kill for a damned LED.

and an analogman modded 250 :)

im not sure who modded mine, as i just got it-- but there is suck a dramatic difference. sounds like you and i notice the same thing :)

• Members

Originally posted by gregovertone

i had time for a brief tonal review tonite....

2 great condish dod 250's.

- original 80's yellow

-ri, modded to gray specs

gtr: PRS cu22 semi-hollow

amps tested:

-fender blues jr

-vox ac30cc2x

-marshall 1987x 50 watt plexi ri.

INTERESTING!!!!!

on each amp, you could hear the basic differences....

the 80's 250 was much more shrill, and a bit harsh on the top end/high mids. overall, id say it has a bit of a scooped sound.

the ri. was a little more balanced in tone, and was more pleasant to listen to.

when the gain was cranked on the RI, it was at about 3pm on the 80's. the gains were still similar, but i found the tone on the original to be more abrasive.

i can't say it was good or bad-- just obviously a heaver sound.

Blues Junior

i dont think either pedal was much of a match for the bj. the tones just arent that compatible.

Vox

i thought the RI shined on the vox....very gritty, but not too harsh......with a little tweak of the treble on the amp, it really sang. same settings, switched to the 80's.........HARSH. unpleasant. total re-adjusting of the knobs.....i got closer to a useable tone, but i definitely preferred the ri.

Marshall

i have always used my 80's with the plexi. never had an issue. i think these pedals tend to compliment a marshall voiced amp. the RI sounded good, but not as good as the 80's. i think the scooped sound of the 80's balanced out the tone of the marshall a bit. the blended sooo nicely. the RI sounded damned good, but almost took a bit of life outta the amp, instead of really opening it up, as it did with the vox.....

its really amazing how pedals react with different amps.

makes you really contemplate the amount of great tones out there....

$.02

As far as having the reissue DOD put back to grey spec it is a good idea. Better tone.

You mentioned the DOD running thru your plexi. Personally I believe that either a 12ax7 pedal i.e real tube overdrive or tonebone hot british, or a FUZZ PEDAL i.e fuzz factory, or a treble boost pedal or a preamp circuit pedal likje the DOD 250 your talkin sound the best and match the best with any non master volume amp. As well any distortion-overdrive or treble booster again sound best through master volume amps with slight drive in the stock form. Like a JCM 800. This is noted many times from players like Eric Johnson and Yngwie and on and on. Look at what they use. It just makes sense and I have personally tried all of these combinations. THe plexis need a fuller soundind pedal like those I mentioned above. If you run a FUzz into a master vo9lume amp to9 me anyway it sounds mushy.

• Members

I have a Yellow 250 RI. I basically got it because it was cheap and I wanted to hear how it sounded. I liked it a lot at first, but it wasn't going to knock anything off of my board. I was using a Nobels ODR-1 and a Keeley SEM DS-1 into a Fender HR Deville 212 or a Blues Jr. I was very happy with the tones I was getting.

Then I bought a Reverend Kingsnake and those pedals weren't doing it for me anymore.

So I went out and bought a Gainster and a Barber Direct Drive SS. They're sounding great.

But then I plugged the 250 in. Damn! It sounds great!. At first I was using it as a mild OD. It sounded sort of muddy and not as defined as the Gainster. But when I cranked the gain, it got treblier, but not so much that it sounded bad. It's a little flabby and gritty, but I really like it. I have no intention of modding it. I don't see how I can keep it off my board now.

Archived