Sort of a weird night...

• Members

So I went to this bar to see the band that a guy from work is in. {censored}hole of a place around the corner from Wrigley Field. In a basement of a place, awful sound, awful sound tech, everything was just awful. PLUS, it was being taped for a public access show of some sort with some 400 lb. dude with a pencil-thin moustache and van dyke beard PAINTED on his face.

Anyway, the opening act was this chick on piano who had a KILLER bassist (on upright and regular) and competent drummer. She was HOT, was really solid on piano, and had sort of an operatic-Fiona Apple voice. I guess it was her first time ever performing live, so between songs you could see her shaking, but she was really composed when playing.

Then there were a couple of acoustic acts, one of whom looked like the bastard child of Neil Young and Beck. Each song got more dreary and slow and depressing and he wasn't very good at actually singing into the mic. But between each song, I guess he realized that no one cared, and he'd say "Uh, here's another mellow one."

Then my friend's band played. It was a CD release show, as well as their last show ever (don't ask). His songs are really good, in a Weezer sort of way, and his voice is sort of Talking Heads but more musical. But their guitar sounds were just awful. It could've been me, though, as the sound of a Strat and a super strat through a Peavey Bandit takes me back to my jr. high and high school rigs, and I'm not at ALL nostalgic for those sounds.

Plus I couldn't get drunk, as I'd forgotten how expensive it is to drink. {censored}in' cans of PBR (dented cans, mind you) were $3!!!!!! And that was the cheapest thing they had!!!!! So I had to put up with this while nursing swill over which I was mad about how much I paid.

• Members

Originally posted by Dr. Nick

chicago sucks, mang.

I know it, dude. I tease you for being "downstate" somewhat out of jealousy. Except I like Skokie, as even though it's expensive, it's got a small town feel, but is VERY diverse, is friendly and close to my work, but still only ten minutes or less to the city, depending on the route/destination/traffic.

Archived