Recommend me some Phaser/Flanger action.

troubbble

• Members

I've never been a big fan of either, but I've been thinking about getting something in the phaser/flanger neighborhood. Are there any out there that cover a lot of ground in getting lots of weird noises? Traditional sounds bug the hell out of me, but I've heard some really cool flanger sounds that I wouldn't mind using. Price isn't too much of an issue. What do you guys think?

• Members

I love the Boss PH-3, though some hate it. You can choose between 4, 8, & 12 step phase or constant 'Rise' or 'Fall' and there is a 'Step' setting that is really cool.

I also have a Phase 90 on my board for the thick strong phase that I put into many songs for a little texture.

The Flanger by Arion (SFL-1?) is good (and cheap).

Right now I'm GASsing for a
Subdecay Quasar Phase Shifter.

~MkF!
"Vactrols!"

• Members

This is a good time to be looking for a flanger to do weird noises.

The DigiTech Turbo Flange does seven different types including a 2 triggered (envelope) settings and a random sample and hold step mode. $80

http://www.digitech.com/xseries%20demos/start.htm

The new Line 6 ToneCore Ligua-Flange - 11 waveforms, through zero, tap tempo. $120

http://www.line6.com/tonecore/liquaflange.html

The Alesis ModFx Phlngr is still out there at MF - multiple waveforms, patterns, tap tempo, triggered. $40.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/182519/

And then there's the EHX Flanger Hoax. Talk about your weird ... in spades. Too weird for me. Another new box surrounded by hype and controversy. Dontcha just love it? $200.

http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/eh.php

• Members

Originally posted by MonkeyKnifeFighter

I love the Boss PH-3, though some hate it. You can choose between 4, 8, & 12 step phase or constant 'Rise' or 'Fall' and there is a 'Step' setting that is really cool.

Exactly why I want one. My only problem with Boss pedals is that they use cheap ceramic caps in their pedals instead of quality metal films.

I usually open them up when I first get them, find out what I want to replace, and do so.

I get boutique sounds without paying the price.

That is if you buy used Boss pedals like I do.

• Members

Originally posted by troubbble

I've never been a big fan of either, but I've been thinking about getting something in the phaser/flanger neighborhood. Are there any out there that cover a lot of ground in getting lots of weird noises? Traditional sounds bug the hell out of me, but I've heard some really cool flanger sounds that I wouldn't mind using. Price isn't too much of an issue. What do you guys think?

Phaser: Ibanez PT-9 or Boss PH-3

Flanger: Foxrox Paradox TZF flanger with two expression pedals

• Members
Originally posted by Pigsinzen

Exactly why I want one. My only problem with Boss pedals is that they use cheap ceramic caps in their pedals instead of quality metal films....

that bugs me too. walking into a club and hearing those caps onstage cluttering up the mix leaves me fuming i paid a cover charge. :mad:

+100 on the arion sfl-1, but i dunno that it'll get wackier than any other flanger. deluxe Electric Mistress can cover some strange/non-trad sounds, as will both the flange and phase from the Ibanez -99 series.

• Members

Thanks for all the help, guys. I think I have an idea.

Since so many options were posted, and none of them really look like they'd be better than the others without hearing them first, maybe I should just go for the Alesis Phlngr for $40. It seems like a great deal with lots of cool options. I could use it to figure out what I want in a flanger and go from there.

Good idea?

• Members
Originally posted by troubbble

Thanks for all the help, guys. I think I have an idea.

Since so many options were posted, and none of them really look like they'd be better than the others without hearing them first, maybe I should just go for the Alesis Phlngr for $40. It seems like a great deal with lots of cool options. I could use it to figure out what I want in a flanger and go from there.

Good idea?

Fair warning - the Phlngr is 100% digital, 100% plastic, was designed to be used by DJ's with line level signals, has no real foot switch to turn it on and off (you can use a simple remote switch like a sustain pedal from radio Shack for $8), uses something like 800 ma of power (so be sure you get the Alesis PS included), but all that said - the Alesis ModFx units like the Phlngr are neat little toys and fun to play with. ;)

• Members

The Phlngr is a great effect, except that it's really noisy. It's so cool though! I probably wouldn't start with Phlngr with I were you only because the mix of cool sounds and awful noise will spoil you when you try other flangers that don't have such options. If there was an analog version, or a less noisy version of that pedal, then I'd go with it.

Even though I haven't tried it, you can be get the Behringer Ultra Flanger brand new for $20. It will probably be a cheap version of the Boss - probably less noisy than the Phlngr, but more noisy than a Boss (I'm only guessing (hey, it's $20)). The new Line6 will probably end up being a cool flanger too. Most people agree that the best flangers are the Boss BF-2, the MXR, and the ADA. You can probably get a Boss BF-2 for less than $50 on Ebay.

Archived