Tom Verlaine tone on the cheap

elctmist

• Members

One in my occasional series of helpful posts about -- gasp -- effects pedals.

Anyway here goes.

Tom Verlaine tone for $30 -- sort of.

You need:

A single coil-equipped guitar, both p/ups engaged

A clean tube amp, reverb up

A Digitech Bad Monkey pedal

pedal setting (all the BM's knobs go to 11). Plug through the mixer output as that gives more TV-approved clarity than the standard output.

Volume: 7 or more

Bass: 6

Treble: 7

Gain: 3

You can add more gain for more sustain but the more gain over 4 you add the less Verlainey it is.

And if you hate Verlaine it's still a good base setting for surf and twang type stuff.

DJ

• Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

CIJ Jazzmaster

SF Super Reverb.

Yeah, I said on the cheap :D. Obviously it helps to have a Jazzmaster/Jaguar and a Fender or Vox tube amp but this will get you close with any single coil guitar and clean tube amp. Add some butterfly side-to-side vib on every SINGLE note and you're golden.

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

Yeah, I said on the cheap
:D
. Obviously it helps to have a Jazzmaster/Jaguar and a Fender or Vox tube amp but this will get you close with any single coil guitar and clean tube amp. Add some butterfly side-to-side vib on every SINGLE note and you're golden.

yeah, but you kinda left the guitar and amp open to interpretation. Verlaine tone is much more gonna come from these...and SF Fenders are reasonably priced, as are CIJ Fenders. well, IMO. Saved yourself $30 on the digitech. :D

Archived