AOTD: Rey Raggy!

• Members

B00000AFXM.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

"Okay," you say. "Cracker's finally cracked."

But hear me out. The first half of this disc, which I got from my trusty public library over lunch, is late-60s pop at its very finest. Wah-guitar, electric piano, cheese organ, harmonies, sunny lyrics, and even Davey Jones on one track.

So, I don't know how many people have had the strange position of working in kids' stuff, having a toddler, and being a complete old-cartoon geek come together as I have, but again, hear me out:

During the second season of Scooby Doo (must've been 1970), during the chases when Shag and Scoob are running from mummies, phantoms, etc., there was always a cheesy song playing in the background. Well, this is a compilation of these. And goddamn, they are pop perfection.

If anyone's curious about these, let me know.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

During the second season of Scooby Doo (must've been 1970), during the chases when Shag and Scoob are running from mummies, phantoms, etc., there was always a cheesy song playing in the background. Well, this is a compilation of these.

Wow. I had no idea that such a compilation existed. That could definitely be fun cocktail-party music.

(How many times did it end up being a cranky old man who didn't want the kids to mess with his big-money land/mansion/gold mine/island scheme?)

• Members

I totally believe it. You never know who's playing on this stuff, but if it was an LA studio thing, there's going to be some seriously kickass playing.

Reminds me of the whole, deeply weird, Sun Ra/Batman TV soundtrack connection -- which makes no sense at all. Claims that Sun Ra wrote the theme. Sun Ra did a lot of Batman inspired stuff for a while, like "I'm Gonna Unmask The Batman," which is an amazing blues. There's a truly obscure recording of two white guys doing TV soundtrack music for a made-for-TV record, like a RonCo thing, and the backing band is Ra and his best musicians. Weird but really nice stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

(How many times did it end up being a cranky old man who didn't want the kids to mess with his big-money land/mansion/gold mine/island scheme?)

Yeah, "The Gang" should come out of retirement and go off on Cheney. That'd actually be a cool graphic novel: Scooby of course would be long dead, as dogs don't live 35 years. And I'm not about to have another dog ruin the show like Scooby Dumb or Scrappy Doo did. So, they'll have taxidermied his big old slobbery corpse. Shaggy will be a university English or Philosophy prof. Velma will be an optomerist. Fred will be some sort of business-type who now hates himself and is getting back into the business because he's self-hating for helping the machine. Velma will be a trophy wife, full of botox and silicon and gin. Wouldn't this be a GREAT graphic novel?! I'm gonna start working on this; honestly!

• Members

Okay. I know you all think I'm nuts with this Mystery, Inc. vs. Dick Cheney idea, but I'm really and truly serious about it. I'm going to write up a proposal/outline tonight.

I just tossed the idea past a buddy of mine here at work and he made the great point that the legal rights WERE Hanna Barbera but are NOW owned by Ted Turner, that fellow leftist pig, who would at LEAST get a kick out of it, if not okay it.

• Members

Okay. If you got a PM from me, here's a tracklist:

1. Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! (Main Title, 1969)

2. Recipe For My Love

3. Seven Days A Week

4. Daydreamin'

5. Love The World

6. Tell Me, Tell Me

7. The New Scooby-Doo Movies (Main Title, 1972)

8. Pretty Mary Sunlite (Jerry Reed)

9. I Can Make You Happy (with Davey Jones)

10. The Scooby-Doo Show (Main Title, 1976)

11. Move Over

12. Ruby Cool Guy

13. Gotta Have Time

14. The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries (Main Title, 1984)

15. I Could Be A Star

16. Dooby Doo

17. The 13 Ghosts Of Scooby-Doo (Main Title, 1985)

18. Me And My Shadow

19. Scooby's Mystery Mix

• Members

Just started listening, and so far, you're right, this kicks ass.

"Recipie for Love" threw me for a loop when I heard this couplet:

guess i've done a whole lot of dreamin'/

but it's no fun when things ain't what they're seemin'

Had to rewind to make sure they used that word in a song about mixing up a batter of love for a kids show.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

Just started listening, and so far, you're right, this kicks ass.

"Recipie for Love" threw me for a loop when I heard this couplet:

guess i've done a whole lot of dreamin'/

but it's no fun when things ain't what they're seemin'

Had to rewind to make sure they used that word in a song about mixing up a batter of love for a kids show.

Yeah. The lyrics are great; total Brady Bunch pap. And one of my favorite parts is the constant key-raising.

• Members

And what do you think he used to get the groovy guitar on that? How can I cop that tone?! (Who woulda thunk that cartoon music would be getting dissected here?)

Sounds like right to the mixer with heavy, heavy reverb to me, but elctmist is the master of surfy twangy goodness around here. He should hear this.

Shame about side 2. I could go for an LP by that band on side 1, if we could figure out who it was.

• Members

Sounds like right to the mixer with heavy, heavy reverb to me, but elctmist is the master of surfy twangy goodness around here. He should hear this.

Shame about side 2. I could go for an LP by that band on side 1, if we could figure out who it was.

A couple of guys named Danny Janssen and Austin Roberts. From the research I did last night, looks like performed by Austin Roberts. Some LA studio. And of course, that's Davey Jones singing on the one and Jerry Reed on the other. I'll look more into tonight and see what production company it was.

• Members

Second theory: volume/wah pedal. But I'm pretty sure it's just super-clean eighth notes to get the rhythm.

Yeah, I say wah. When did the Maestro Boomerang come out? sounds more like that than a VOX to me.

• Members

Cool. Thanks!

And I just did a little more digging. It seems that the two guys behind these tunes, Danny Janssen and Austin Roberts, were also responsible for the music of Josie and the Pussycats, The Partridge Family, Bobby Sherman, and even Andy Williams.

And, I'm not gonna dig up the webpage again right now, but Austin Roberts had a top 10 hit with a single off of his 1973 solo album, Rocky.

Archived