berate my rig //upgrade my lame ass

moonhead

• Members

Okay, been slowly assembling a basement full of stuff. Here's the current state of the state:

many guitars but usually 86 mij fender tele custom -> boss cs-3 -> (modded)boss bd-2 ->bossrv-3/or/ehx memory man/or/yamaha magic stomp/or/combinations thereof...-> digitech jam man -> trace elliot bonneville amp

sometimes without jam man of course...

anyway, I am thinking about next moves on the above set up. here is where my head is at and I' be grateful for your opinions and thoughts:

i'm thinking a better compressor to kick things off, like a barber tone press. the cs-3 works okay, but colors the tone quite a bit and removes the string jangle and bite almost completely.

as far as overdrive is concerned, i like what the (modded) bd-2 does, but I'm wondering what combos nicely with the barber? I also think it might be fun to have something that has a wider usable range...a more-than one trick pony as it were. any thoughts on upgrades here? note that my other amp is a nice old fender bandmaster, for which the bd-2 sounds just awful...if I could get something that would work with that guy, that would be a +

delay wise I think I'm set. the rv-3 and the memory man are both very nice, and I love the magic stomp's tape-echo model as well (it's really quite lush). the stomp is also what I use when I want a tremolo, and it has a bunch of goodn's, but they tend to rob volume quite a bit, and I am quite tempted by that c-bread semaphore product.

so my thought is too save nickels for a barber tone press, then perhaps a semaphore, but I'm wondering if I oughtn't squeeze a good and versatile od in there too?

thanks for any and all responses.

• Members

RV-3 and Memory man are cool. A lot of people like the modded BD-2, but I haven't heard one. Definitely get the Barber Tone Press (that makes the most sense to upgrade). Perhaps get a fuzz? Semaphore tremolo would be cool. For something different, maybe an Analogue Filter or some other Envelope Filter.

I'd only buy one thing at a time and do upgrades slowly. Once you get one new piece in your setup, you may start to like a pedal you thought sucked.

• Members

Originally posted by Jaggery

So any issues with using magicstomp at the front instead of the loop.

Is it true bypass?

I do not think it is true bypass. So you are suggesting it might work bettter in the amp effects loop? this would make it bypassable then eh? (this is the whole point of the effects loop corret...)

anyway, I haven't learned to trust my effects loop yet. always seems to cause me gain level headsaches...but maybe I should oughta leanr it's nuances...any opinions on its best uses and such?? things in and out of amps efx loop?

doenke shcoen

• Members

I highly recommend the tone press. I love compression but not total squish. This is a big problem I have with practically every other compressor out there. I want maximum sustain but not much compression. With the tone press you can achieve this, or get a ton of compression if you wish (note: not as much squish as say a Dynacomp/Ross but pretty close). If you wanted to use it as a clean boost you can do that too with no compression at all! Mine is set up like this:

vol - 2 oclock
blend (compression) - 9 oclock
sustain - max!

• Members

You could get one from Bananas at Large, www.bananas.com but I don't really care for the store. I went in person and their employees are worse than Guitar Center. Car Salesman type of shilling, pushing M-Audio crap on me, not knowing {censored} about all the great boutique effects they carry. Won't let you touch guitars without asking. Crappy store basically, but they carry nice gear.

Archived