Can't decide!... which amp will I be better off with?

(((echo)))

• Members

AC30 clone or vintage Twin?

my main style is shoegaze/indie i suppose... guitar will be my rickenbacker 360 and effects will be a few different flavors of fuzz (blender, big muff, big cheese clone) an overdrive, delay, reverb, and trem

i don't really need amp break up though i do like it at times.. overall though i like a clean base to layer effects over so the clean tone has to be great and the amp needs to take effects well

I've had both amps in reissue form and loved things about both but it's been a while so I'm a bit foggy on the tone of each... I guess the one thing that I didn't care for about the AC30 is it didn't sound as good at lower levels as the Twin, seemed like it only sounded great while loud which is alright at practice or live but not at all when playing at home which is where it got used 80% of the time

So now I'm trying to decide between an early SF Twin and a Hayseed 30

what might be the best fit for me.. and why? :confused:

• Members

I guess it depends on whether you want breakup or not. If you do, maybe an AC15 would be best, with it miked to a PA at larger gigs. If you don't want breakup, and just want a clean palette for your effects, the twin would be a nice choice.

• Members

Originally posted by wembleyisgreen

dude no offense but your starting to get as bad as that fuzzface guy with his indecisiveness, just don't get into his penny pinching.

haha yeah i can be indecisive.. if you could all read the pm's between FF71 and myself while working out trades.. {censored}ing amazing! :eek::D

honestly i love the AC30 but i wonder if a twin would better suit my playing... i'm unsure though

like i said before.. i like a little breakup at times but i'm not the type of player who only cranks amps

i want something that'll sound good on 1 and at 11

the vox sounded like {censored} on 1 imo... didn't sound good to me until it was on 3 or 4 which was too loud at home :(

daz.. tell me more about that hiwatt, i'd love to get a custom 50 or 100 but they're out of my budget. what do those 20's go for :confused:

• Members

I think the twin is only good for clean, and for hugh fuzz distortion sounds via pedals. I never liked the overdrive on the twin.

that covers a big part of my sound.. i just like a decent overdrive sound to round it out, i've always used pedals for that (not to boost the amp into overdrive but using the gain knob) so i'd assume it would sound fine. i remember being happy with the od's i used with the reissue twin i had a few years back

Vox overdrive is awesome, but the amp does need to open up to sound good so low volumes is quite bland.

exactly the problem i had with it... sounded great live, sounded like crap at home.

though the 1/2 power switch and MV on the hayseed 30 remedies this... it's just that wait :(

Archived