My job

paulandpaul

• Members

Originally posted by DICKTRON

Semen collector on a bull farm?

When I was a kid, I helped out on a family friend's dairy farm. There was actually a dude whose job it was to sell bull cum. He was a semen salesman. He would come around with catalogs of pictures of bulls that had all sorts of pedigree and genetic info and you had to pick which ones you wanted the sperm from. Then he'd come with a tank of freezing cold liquid nitrogen and bring these straws full of semen. Actually, I'd rather have that job than the job of artificial inseminator, though.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

When I was a kid, I helped out on a family friend's dairy farm. There was actually a dude whose job it was to sell bull cum. He was a semen salesman. He would come around with catalogs of pictures of bulls that had all sorts of pedigree and genetic info and you had to pick which ones you wanted the sperm from. Then he'd come with a tank of freezing cold liquid nitrogen and bring these straws full of semen. Actually, I'd rather have that job than the job of artificial inseminator, though.

My grandfather did this when I was a little. He'd take me with him on his rounds sometimes--its kinda weird when you're a little kid, and you're standing outside a paddock watching your grandpa with his arm shoulder deep in a cow's vagina.

• Members
Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

We did that with swine when my daughter was in 4H. Got the old PlayBoar magazine via the mail, and picked the lucky winner from the side and rear photos of the boar. Actually, we opted for the multiple father milkshake to get some genetic variety. A week later there was a box on our doorstep labeled
**** PERISHABLE BOAR SEMEN ****
I'm sure our mailman loved us.
Oh, I can tell lots you of stories about inseminating sows. :wave:

http://www.swinegenetics.com/

Archived