What's the best noise gate for guitar

andrewgil

• Members

I would like to know anyones' opinions on what the best noise gate is on the market.

I have tried the Rocktron one and it sucked my tone up. I play a Rickenbacker 360 and Les Paul through Fuzz Face - Beano Booster - Boss Tuner - Boss Tremelo - Boss Reverb - Boss DD 20 - Digitech Whammy - Vox AC50. The chain is quiet but single coils do their buzz thing since I like to run my amp at about 70% saturated. Neck pickup on the Les Paul is a P-94.

Is there anything out there that can help eliminate some of that heavy buzz/hiss from in between hits when using the treble booster or fuzz?

I try to keep things as warm as possible so I don't want the tone to sound sterile, I guess nobody does. With analog stuff this is probably to be expected, but does anyone know how I can limit this to achieving the good warm tones while keeping things smooth and not so noisy?

Andrew

www.capemayrock.com

• Members

I have both the Rocktron Hush pedal and the ISP Decimator.

I use single coil guitars, treble boosters, fuzzes, etc. so I know your problem.

The Rocktron does indeed change your tone - it didn't bother me because I only used it when I had too . . .

The ISP works better and can get my setups dead quiet (its scary really how well it works), however it is based on the Hush unit (same designer I think) so you may not like it.

The only thing I do not like about the ISP is that because it is time based (semi intelligent) the tone warp or warbling that is really noticeable when you hit the open high E string is somewhat random. At least with the Hush unit the warble is constant so it doesn't jump out at you as much.

• Members

so it gives you that shaky warble, similar to when you move the pitch around on a digitech whammy?

Probably just unexpected though.

What is your standard setup for live situation? Do you incorporate the gate and do you think it would be worth the investment vs. noise? Sounds like your setup is similar.

Archived