ADA Flanger Modification ((STEREO))

DanyoSound

• Members

Can a mono flanger - specifically the A/DA Flanger - be modified to have a nice stereo spread? I don't mean effect out and dry out; I mean a true stereo spread. If it can be done (seems simple enough...), then who can do it?

I know other people here would like an A/DA Flanger that runs in stereo also, so whoever can do it could potentially have many orders!

• Members

Originally posted by DanyoSound

A little bumb action please?

I don't know. I'm sure it's possible. It won't happen though. {censored} like that is involved, and I bet it would be a real pain in the ass to do it as a mod on an old pedal (I remember mike both took awhile to get a stereo-ish mod for the infinitphase that sounded right...and even then it was very subtle) Get a Tzf, it's the best stereo effect I've ever used (though I still prefer my ada overall).

• Members

Originally posted by pontiusplaymate

Get a Tzf, it's the best stereo effect I've ever used (though I still prefer my ada overall).

This is exactly my dilemma. I took the TZF back because my other flangers were just better. But an ADA flanger in stereo, with a footswitch to toggle the polarity, and the ADA becomes the best flanger ever (unless you already think that it is...).

Anyone want to get rid of a Lovetone flanger?

• Members

I've only recently delved into the DIY pedal building... but, if I understand correctly, this would involve 2 signal paths whereas the A/DA is is single signal path. It's not like a simple (or complex for that matter) mod could achieve this. It's more like a re-engineering or building a second DIY PCB and wiring it stereo i/o wth the original unit.

My suggestion would be to just buy a second unit and run 2 discrete signal paths to/from your stereo path. It might actually be really cool because you could set different modulation for each L/R.

I have a 70's A/DA with the onboard power transformer (AnalogMan told me this is the best sounding of the 3 vintage variants - I lucked out!). Nice sounding indeed!

• Members

Originally posted by starfish

My suggestion would be to just buy a second unit and run 2 discrete signal paths to/from your stereo path. It might actually be really cool because you could set different modulation for each L/R.

I wouldn't mind doing that if I could snyc-lock the speeds of the two flangers, or unlock them with a simple switch. Of course, that would be about $400-600 worth of flanger, plus a little extra for the mod, and probably a new box.

Maybe I'll have to have the Lovetone....

• Members

Originally posted by DanyoSound

I wouldn't mind doing that if I could snyc-lock the speeds of the two flangers, or unlock them with a simple switch. Of course, that would be about $400-600 worth of flanger, plus a little extra for the mod, and probably a new box.

Maybe I'll have to have the Lovetone....

I didn't try running the lovetone in stereo, but I really wasn't wow'd by it. However, I only had it for a week. I'd definitely recommend trying one out before you put down your money. I love weird pedals, and the lovetone did lots of weird things....but so does the ADA, for a lot less cash.

Archived