The Contender Rematch

blaghaus

• Members

Manfredo got robbed.

Bonsante got robbed.

The losers were declared winners.

I think that a true champion would have admitted defeat, even though the judges said otherwise.

I liked Jesse and Sergio more before their fights.

One positive outcome, perhaps, is that the fans know who won, and showed their appreciation and their disgust.

I am NOT watching season 2 after this. :mad:

When will a Contender fight The Next Great Champ? :D

• Members
Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

Those judges should be strung up by their, umm, earlobes for what they did to the popular face of the sport of boxing that night. Bonsante won the crap out of that fight.

:mad:

I didnt see the Bonasante fight. I didn't like that guy much but I hate poor decisions.

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

I didnt see the Bonasante fight. I didn't like that guy much but I hate poor decisions.

Definitely see it. In the end, it was obvious to everyone (except for the judges) who won. Even Jesse knew he had lost.

• Members
Originally posted by Eddie

This seems to be a prevalent problem in boxing, not just for The Contender. Many people associated with boxing want to make changes in order to improve judging. There is a lot of money involved, and a lot of politics
:(

It's probably the toughest problem in the sports world. The more you change the judging, the more the sport changes in response. Look at Olympic boxing sometime -- the stupid computer scoring system has changed the object of the fight to throw your hands at the face as quickly as possible. Chicken wrangling is more exciting to watch than that. The criteria and system for judging is sound at this point -- the problem is finding good judges, and of course Mark Burnett didn't give a rat's ass about that. At least the Contenders aren't important fighters - you don't see this kind of crookedness in the big fights anymore (there's your open can of worms right there...).

• Members

These days, it's like heavyweights don't even count anymore... If there were a good fighter out there that weighed more than 12 pounds, there'd probably be a lot of problems solved pretty quickly...

Lewis is my favourite boxer ever.

• Members

The one that really hurts seeing is Chavez vs. Taylor.

That was literally a life changing decision for Taylor. What if he had won...

I can understand Richard Steele's concerns as a referee, but Taylor deserved those few extra seconds.

I am a huge Chavez fan, and Taylor won that fight.

And Roy Jones' first loss (by disqualification) was undeserved.

Too many people (e.g., referee, judges, doctor) can mess up a decision.

If Manfredo was cut like Mora, do you think the fight would have gone the distance? It seems that Mora had been elected winner before the fight began...

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

Lewis is my favourite boxer ever.

I wish he had retired sooner -- I always get angry at folks that go on too long and put themselves into serious danger like he did. I dunno, I always liked watching the smaller guys... Big fan of Johnny Tapia and Ricky Hatton -- I like the feisty little scrappers best.

• Members

These days, it's like heavyweights don't even count anymore...

Wladimir Klitschko fought better than what I expected against Samuel Peter. But it's true, these days the Heavyweight division is as exiting as watching paint dry.

• Members

I wish he had retired sooner -- I always get angry at folks that go on too long and put themselves into serious danger like he did. I dunno, I always liked watching the smaller guys... Big fan of Johnny Tapia and Ricky Hatton -- I like the feisty little scrappers best.

I love Hatton too. Theres going to be some good fights with him in in the near future.

• Members

Back on topic, I'm pretty much just agreeing with everyone else in saying that night was a shame.

I thought the refs sucked that night and the judges sucked that night.

It was clear that Alfonso was gonna beat that guy, but there was no reason that the fight should have been stopped at that point.

I feel bad for Peter and Anthony, they were clearly the winners. Mora has no power behind his punches and Jesse just didn't land any.

At least the Contenders aren't important fighters - you don't see this kind of crookedness in the big fights anymore (there's your open can of worms right there...).

I think at the begining of season 1, Manfredo was ranked in the top 5 in his weight class. These guys aren't the most well known boxers, but many of them were just a step below that.

Archived