OT: think you got guts? check this freeclimber

sonaboy

• Members

when he jumped for that one crevice late in the film i almost {censored} my pants. I dont think we have any idea how crazy that guy is. I have two thoughts on this climb though. That guy has probably done lovers leap at least 100 times. He knows the line and doesnt have to stop to think. Stopping and holding yourself up drains stamina fast. By just going and not having the look for the hand holds he doesnt waste any energy and the by the time hes halfway up hes working on adrenalin like a machine.

• Members

that is dan osman and i have to say that there has been a book written about him... AND his DEATH. He listens to metallica religiously. In addition to free climbing (climbing with no rope), he also jumps off cliffs with a rope, and that is how he died a while back. The rope was soaked from rain the day before and got fragile and broke as he fell.

• Members

Originally posted by NITEFLY182

wait so he jumps and just lets the rope snap him back up? Its not a bungee cord right?

Yeah, it was regular climbing rope. He would jump in such a way so that at the end of his fall, the majority of his energy would be transferred into a swinging motion rather than a back snapping jolt. Pretty insane stuff!!!

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

My best mate is a very serious climber and while he admires Osman's ability, he reckons his kind of flash and stupidity gives climbing a bad name.

i disagree. While it is stupid, climbing in generally IS stupid, if you think about it. If it wasn't for Dan Osman and his extraordinary feat, climbing would not be where it is at today.

• Members

I'd like to see something like this on cops.

cop: "ok sir, put yours hand on the car!"
guy:runs:
cop:"dispatch, my suspect just ran up a mountain, um.......nevermind, i'll meet you guys at dunkin doughnuts.":thu:

Archived