Flakey switch on my TS808

MBET

• Members

My TS808 (old, not reissue) has flaked out. It has always been touchy but that didn't matter as I have it looped through a switcher and thus just need it ON all of the time. Well, now it's not switching on at all. When I press the switch no signal passes and the LED lights up but as soon as take pressure off the switch again the LED goes out (it doesn't stay on) and clean signal passes again.

In other words, it won't turn on.

How can I get this fixed?

HELP!!

• Members

I second sending it to Analog Man. The switch may be flakey, but there seems to be something else not right with the pedal. The switch only controls the state of the flip-flop switching circuit, and has nothing directly to do with the signal path. If the signal signal dies when the switch is depressed, something else is the matter too.

/Andreas

• Members

I e-mailed Analog Mike asking about fixing it and he said that he doesn't have any replacement switches and usually just buys cheaper 8 series pedals on e-bay and scavenges the switches from them. I was hoping for a better solution than that. But if that's my only option, then that's what I'll do.

• Members

My guess is that it'll be your only option. Chances are very slim that you'll find someone with an original TS-808 switch. You would probably have to shell out a couple of hundred dollars for a dead TS-808.

Just send it to Analogman. If you ever sell it, make sure you keep the original switch along with it. Also be sure to note that the switch was professionally repaired by Analogman...his name is highly associated with vintage pedals, and tubescreamers in particular. Many people would much rather buy one repaired by Analogman than some random guy with a soldering iron.

• Members

Since Ibanez is now selling a reissue version of the TS-808, complete with the old-style switch and all, there should be spare parts available from Ibanez. If they choose to sell them outside their own shop or not is of course another matter, but at least there are new switches out there.

But my point is that you will need to have someone look deeper into your pedal - if the switch is flakey, the only thing that happens is that it will either be very hard to get the pedal switched on, or (which is less likely) that it will switch on/off at random. If the pedal goes silent, something else besides the switch is also wrong. The switch itself has nothing directly to do with the signal path, and can not by itself cause the symptoms you describe.

/Andreas

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Turns out my flaked out switch is actually FINE. No problems. It was a flaked out battery. The battery was relatively new and when the TS808 was acting weird I pulled out the battery and touched my tongue to test and it seemed fine. (I know it's not scientific but I can usually judge this way). I hadn't thought to change the battery but when I put it in another pedal to play and THAT pedal was acting weird too I realised what was wrong. The battery was just really weak. When I figured it out and put a fresh battery in the pedal was actually OK.

I'm really relieved.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived