making music with a metal drummer

alloowishus

• Members

is a drag, cause they only like to play metal. actually he's pretty open minded, until I start playing those "country riffs" then he scrunches his face.

i must say though, he's got some mean chops. same with the bass player. have you ever got a bunch of players together and thought "my god, what have I created?"

it's frankenband!

frankenstein.jpg

• Members

1st of all you gotta be able to play a little country, if anything for novelty reasons. 2nd, the best metal drummers started out playing jazz. i do't know if this makes since and/or is spelled correctly. i'm pretty drunk-seein' sideways and alot of the leetrers on my cpu are rubbed off. oh yeah& i'm in the dark. what?

• Members
Originally posted by JETKING

1st of all you gotta be able to play a little country, if anything for novelty reasons. 2nd, the best metal drummers started out playing jazz.
i do't know if this makes since and/or is spelled correctly. i'm pretty drunk-seein' sideways and alot of the leetrers on my cpu are rubbed off. oh yeah& i'm in the dark. what?

How sad :(

• Members
Originally posted by alloowishus

actually he's pretty open minded, until I start playing those "country riffs" then he scrunches his face.

You have heard that, too? I think when punk or metal dudes hear full chords they automatically think of country music. Kind of sad, really... :cry:

• Members

Just for reference, I don't play country, necessarily. I play rock, but rock that has been influenced by players who have been influenced by country. My picking skills come from folky acoustic rock stuff, really, but listening to the guitarist with Matthew Sweet can bring that kind of influence into your chording and writing styles.

• Members

Metal drummers tend to play way too loud, have too many drums and accessories (cages, skulls, etc. ) and have a very limited scope when it comes to music.

So I try my best to avoid playing with them. Some of them are fantastic, we just never seem to jive idea wise. Coming from a metal background, I think I've put in my quota for playing with them LOL!

Even if I was in a metal band I probably wouldn't get a metal drummer.

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

Metal drummers tend to play way too loud, have too many drums and accessories (cages, skulls, etc. ) and have a very limited scope when it comes to music.

thats like my drummer

he never stops playing

he just keeps going and going

it was even worse when he got his double kick

he lives by the rule 'if its not metal its crap' he even self admits it to.

hes gotten better now and likes to play jazz and stuff like that, he finally realises that you get crap if you limit yourself to one style of music

• Members

So I try my best to avoid playing with them. Some of them are fantastic, we just never seem to jive idea wise. Coming from a metal background, I think I've put in my quota for playing with them LOL!

Exactly, they have no dymanics

... Plus they tend to be cocky and think things have to be fast to be "good"

• Members

Funny you should mention that, he actually does have a cage and plays pretty loud. However, I have been looking for a drummer forever and he's the first one who can play with a looper and keep time. He can also handle alternative timings and changes pretty good. He is definitely a metal advocate though, and I have nothing against metal, but I'm trying to do something different. Some of my songs are quite heavy, some not so much. It's the not so much he has trouble with. Time to edjamacate his ass! :D

Archived