Jump to content

Where were the Pakistan earthquake relief threads?


Fourth Floor

Recommended Posts

  • Members

Where were you for the thread I made? Where were you for the thread someone else made earlier today? We are going in circles, folks.

If you think it's important do something. Send some money. Make a thread selling your stuff and giving all the proceeds to fund the relief.

I love how people wanna come in and point fingers when they obviously haven't done a damn thing, either.

Also, the assumption that no one is doing anything because there isn't a thread is silly. You just don't know.

So, champion the cause, my friend... I am sure many, many people will follow your lead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Mate, I'm just observing the difference in feeling here.

Hardly pointing fingers at you. Money has been sent, so don't suggest I haven't done a damn thing. I love how people come in here and think there is finger waving or nothing being done.

I don't have pedals to sell just now. But there was {censored} all response to 30,000 deaths in Pakistan vs 5,000 (?) in NO. - I hate to think that dinrodef is in the majority.

I'm seeing no stickies. No auctions...I just wanna know why.

what thread did you make? I had to search for this thread...

BTW, don't patronise me, friend. :wave:

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

Where were you for the thread I made? Where were you for the thread someone else made earlier today? We are going in circles, folks.


If you think it's important do something. Send some money. Make a thread selling your stuff and giving all the proceeds to fund the relief.


I love how people wanna come in and point fingers when they obviously haven't done a damn thing, either.


Also, the assumption that no one is doing anything because there isn't a thread is silly. You just don't know.


So, champion the cause, my friend... I am sure many, many people will follow your lead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by Fourth Floor

I'm seeing no stickies. No auctions...I just wanna know why.




they are not americans, it is simple!

;)

actually it isn't that simple. earthquakes don't make dramatic tv and many of areas hit have *still* not been reached. i was speaking on the weekend to people who have spent the past week up in pakistan with different aid groups and the pak military is still trying to clear roads and get helicopters in. no-one really knows what the death toll is precisely or what the long term health situation will be like.

moreover, the whole relief effort is compounded by the political tension between pak and india.

but, the big problem is that the snow has already started to fall and those places always have a long and hard winter. in some places less than 25% of the buildings left standing are habitable at the moment.

which raises the really big problem, logistics. how in hell are they going to get building materials up there in time for the winter?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Is it so crazy that Americans would be more moved by a New Orleans tragedy than a Pakistan tragedy? Or that people in general would be more moved by a tsunami spanning half of Asia's coast and killing over 150,000 people?

By all accounts, a tragedy occurs seven times every .034 seconds. I just don't have enough compassion to go around. I have to sleep, eat, play video games, etc.

Earthquake, plane crash, kidnapped baby, tsunami, hurricane, hurricane, hurricane, hurri-{censored}ing-cane, cancer, rape, malaria, famine, disease, AIDS, ignorance, genocide, coup, insurgency, beheading, downfall, Avian Flu, West Nile, SARS, mud slide, flood, stadium collapses, bombs, Blink 182 breaking up, mines in schoolyards, yellow cake, lost explosives, spies, threats from terrorists, global tragedy, national emergency, local victims, family deaths. I just don't have it in me.

No, I didn't donate, I probably won't.

Sorry.

:(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Fourth Floor

There were plenty for the Tsunami and Katrina. No love for Pakistan?

 

If it isn't blown all over the tv for us to inhale in GOOD OLDE USA....Well, it didn't happen right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
  • Members

While there's a clear lack of enthusiasm for this catastrophe, I think that is a combination of little tv coverage and well, people getting a bit numb to the litany of disasters in short succession.

I personally find that many people 'donate' to make themselves feel better/superior or because they're guilted into it. There's nothing worse than someone who looks down upon everyone else because they made a donation and they feel the need to laud it over others.

That gets one of these...:bor:

One reason I don't donate as much as I used to is because I know an accountant who has worked on bequests to a number of international aide/charity organisations, and he told me they soak up most of the donations in administration to the tune of about 80% in a lot of cases, and where the administrators are driving around in late model luxury cars and are on big, fat salaries. I'd like to see charities have to declare what % goes to an actual cause...it'll probably be a lot less than you think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by 4Kenoath

I'd like to see charities have to declare what % goes to an actual cause...

 

 

most do.

 

although charitable giving for disasters does tend to present some aid groups with a bit of a headache...

 

...take the tsunami for example. the giving there was massive, but most of the groups in a position to actually do something there also have other chronically underfunded projects in the region.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by 4Kenoath

[bI personally find that many people 'donate' to make themselves feel better/superior or because they're guilted into it. There's nothing worse than someone who looks down upon everyone else because they made a donation and they feel the need to laud it over others.

 

 

I didn't say I donated to make me superiuer over you. It's not about me or you. Its about victims. I don't think there is any excuse to 'not donate. I don't donate because the victims won't get it bla bla.

My point was and is, that there is a huge difference between the reactions on different disasters. And the reason has to do with racism.

OK i said it. SHOOT ME

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...