Verbzilla sort of review...

Passerby

• Members

Verbzilla... I found one online. I'm not sure if anyone has found one in a store, but if you do... buy it.:thu:

This is easily the best reverb I've ever used. It is not metalic, like all the Boss versions and the digitech version. I've not tried the Alesis Quadraverb, but this is definitely smaller. The Holy Grail didn't do it for me either. The 69' Spring is surf guitar heaven. All of the reverbs sound good. The ducking is fabulous if you like the strong verb, but hate when it muddies up your playing. The octo... wow. You can make the harmonic synth orchestra as loud and prominent as you would like. This effect with volume swells is like playing several instruments at the same time. Maybe not the most practical effect in most band settings, but definitely fun to experiment with. I have decided that the "cave" reverb setting is my favorite. It has very thick reverb, without sounding like your rig is running through a china cymbal filter. My Mesa Mark IV's reverb is decent, but nowhere near as adjustable as the 'zilla. It passed the "turn all effects on at the same time" test, and I have a lot of effects. I HIGHLY recommend this pedal.

WARNING: You have to use an individual wall wart. The boss version works wonderfully. Leaving "trails" off will more effectively bypass your unit.

I won't post clips, because the stuff you can hear on the Line 6 site is pretty much exactly what it sounds like.

Anyone try the Liqua-Flange or the Roto pedal yet?

• Members

I will reserve final judgement of the tone till I've played with one in person, but there's no way I'm going to buy a ToneCore pedal the way they look.

That being said, someone has to say this:

Its just a reverb pedal.

I don't care how versatile it is. Its just reverb. If I'm recording to my DAW and have an awesome reverb plugin that I can alter for each song that's cool, but for live, I'd go with 1 maybe 2 kinds of reverb and be done with it. A reverb tank is fine for me, though a pedal is cool if your amp doesn't have one. But again, I'll say:

Its just a reverb pedal.

*ducks*

• Members

ah but thats the catch. this reverb pedal does special things. i don't own one and have no plans to buy one however the other guitar player in my band does.

i could see having one on my board just for the octo setting. i use a digiverb right now for more normal reverb sounds and i like it a lot, but if i wrote a part that used that octo sound then i would need to have both pedals on my board. i own two amps neither of which have built in reverb.

• Members

Originally posted by alloowishus

stereo in, stereo out baby.

Great ............ but probably not true stereo from the ins throughout the box.

Sorry to say but I would think there`s a mono summing of the two ins before the stereo reveb effects.

A true stereo reverb that could recieve stereo effects on the ins would be great !

I couldn`t download the manual but I doubt it would answer the question.

• Members

Originally posted by threm

Great ............ but probably not true stereo from the ins throughout the box.

Sorry to say but I would think there`s a mono summing of the two ins before the stereo reveb effects.

A true stereo reverb that could recieve stereo effects on the ins would be great !

I couldn`t download the manual but I doubt it would answer the question.

A lot of assuming and doubting there. The Echo Park and Space Chorus have true stereo in and out. They maintain the stereo image.

And what's all this whining about how the pedals look? What are you guys, a bunch of fashion punks?

• Members

Originally posted by UncleDig

A lot of assuming and doubting there. The Echo Park and Space Chorus have true stereo in and out. They maintain the stereo image.

Good to hear about the true stereo of the other Tonecore pedals!

So, it seems like the Verbzilla wouldn`t differ in that respect.

It`s not clear from the manual;

"Connect your guitar to the mono input on your Tonecore.

Or, you can feed the stereo input of your Tonecore with a mono or a stereo effect pedal instead of a guitar."

Maybe Passerby could give it a test. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by threm

Good to hear about the true stereo of the other Tonecore pedals!

So, it seems like the Verbzilla wouldn`t differ in that respect.

It`s not clear from the manual;

"Connect your guitar to the mono input on your Tonecore.

Or, you can feed the stereo input of your Tonecore with a mono or a stereo effect pedal instead of a guitar."

Maybe Passerby could give it a test.
;)

I wish I could, but I own one amp and simply don't "get" the stereo deal anyways. I've got enough wires running on my board as it is. Would hooking the stereo out of the TZF to the Verbzilla's Stereo in and then running the Verbzilla's stereo out into the Echo Park stereo in (placed before the zilla and after the TZF) do anything but fry my board / amp?

• Members

Originally posted by preservation

SO....MUCH........GAS....FOR....VERBZILLA ??!?

+1

I'm so tempted to get one to put on the 63 spring setting and stick it in front of my Deluxe clone that's on its way...

That would sound good. Mmmmmmm.

Or this "octo" setting could be used with the acoustic and provide a really cool ambient sound.

I SERIOUSLY never thought that I would GAS for a reverb pedal before this! :freak::confused:

• Members

Originally posted by Passerby

Would hooking the stereo out of the TZF to the Verbzilla's Stereo in and then running the Verbzilla's stereo out into the Echo Park stereo in (placed before the zilla and after the TZF) do anything but fry my board / amp?

Mybe fry your head too, if you listen to it for some time. ;)

• Members

I wish I could, but I own one amp and simply don't "get" the stereo deal anyways. I've got enough wires running on my board as it is. Would hooking the stereo out of the TZF to the Verbzilla's Stereo in and then running the Verbzilla's stereo out into the Echo Park stereo in (placed before the zilla and after the TZF) do anything but fry my board / amp?

nope, that's what it's supposed to do :)

• Members

I'm also real curious about the stereo thing. Try this:

Just use the Verbzilla. Plug your guitar into one of the ins, and plug a dummy cable into the other in (to fool Mr. Verbzilla into thinking you're coming in stereo). Then take 2 cables out, and test to see if you get sound out of both. If it's true stereo, then you'll ONLY get a signal out of the same output that you plugged your guitar into. E.g., if you have your guitar in the RIGHT in, you'll only get sound coming out of the RIGHT out. If you get sound out of both outputs, then it sums to mono in the pedal.

My question is, what's the use of a stereo pedal that sums to mono??? It's like every stereo pedal in the world that does that is saying "nah nah, you can only use me at the very end of your chain, and I'm going to totally destroy the effect of every other stereo pedal in your chain :evil: "

:mad:

• Members

Originally posted by IndofunkCity

I'm also real curious about the stereo thing. Try this:

Just use the Verbzilla. Plug your guitar into one of the ins, and plug a dummy cable into the other in (to fool Mr. Verbzilla into thinking you're coming in stereo). Then take 2 cables out, and test to see if you get sound out of both. If it's true stereo, then you'll ONLY get a signal out of the same output that you plugged your guitar into. E.g., if you have your guitar in the RIGHT in, you'll only get sound coming out of the RIGHT out. If you get sound out of both outputs, then it sums to mono in the pedal.

My question is, what's the use of a stereo pedal that sums to mono??? It's like every stereo pedal in the world that does that is saying "nah nah, you can only use me at the very end of your chain, and I'm going to totally destroy the effect of every other stereo pedal in your chain
:evil:
"

:mad:

The Echo Park and the Space Chorus do this (true stereo), so I'm going to assume the Verbzilla does, until we hear differently from someone who's actually tried it out.

• Members

Do reverb pedals sound any good going into the front of an amp?

I would have thought the gain would mess up the sound. Do you have to run the thing through your effects loop to get the best sound?

if so then :( cuz my effects loop murders my sound. something to do with impedences and stuff.

Archived