Any photography folk?

blaghaus

• Members

just get a decent digital camera, they are so advanced these days.

I have one that goes to 11x zoom, and its 4.0 megapixels.

I'm not a "professional" but I have some pictures accepted to "look magazine" and I take pictures for our school newspaper

• Members

Great starter SLRs: Nikon N55, N65 or N75; depending on what features you want.

Auto-Focus is great for snapshots, but you want a camera that will allow for manual f-stop, shutter speed (and hopefully focus) if you're planning on really learning photography for hobby or career. If you will be taking any classes, these features are often necessary.

These cameras also share lens with the newer Nikon Digital SLR's, so you cna start a lens collection and use it for both.

-Y.

• Members

Originally posted by Wyatt

Great starter SLRs: Nikon N55, N65 or N75; depending on what features you want.

Auto-Focus is great for snapshots, but you want a camera that will allow for manual f-stop, shutter speed (and hopefully focus) if you're planning on really learning photography for hobby or career. If you will be taking any classes, these features are often necessary.

These cameras also share lens with the newer Nikon Digital SLR's, so you cna start a lens collection and use it for both.

-Y.

cheers

I'm interested in landscape stuff and action photography (sports in particular(. I take it these would be good for that kind of stuff?

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

cheers

I'm interested in landscape stuff and action photography (sports in particular(. I take it these would be good for that kind of stuff?

Definitely. The autofocus helps immensely in action shooting and there is not only a Shutter Speed priority mode to fast shutter speeds, but a fully automatic Action Shot mode.

A manually adjustable f-stop (Aperture Priority mode) will allow you to adjust for long or short depth of field for landscapes and other shots.

And Nikon does a better job of making their accessories compatible across camera bodies, amking them easier to come by.

If I were to buy a new starter SLR for someone right now, it would be the N65 or N75.

I use digital too, but haven't made the switch to a digital SLR yet. Mostly point and shoot models. Digital SLR's offer all the features of the film ones and wiill take the sae incredible shots. But the resolution of film is infinite, so I still shoot my highbrow shots on film. But just about everything you see in a newspaper (and many magazines) these days is shot digitally through high-end digital SLR's, it allows for faster access and easier transportability.

-Y.

• Members
Originally posted by losergeek

just for clarification, this isn't *quite* true, but it is true that film has the capability to be much sharper/clearer than digital.

It is certainly getting close.
I just grabbed the new Konica Minolta SLR, the 7D....Pretty impressed thus far!
As long as the lens is decent, and you know about shutter speeds vs depth of field....PIECE OF PISS!
An awful lot of good cameras out there nowadays!
There is a really good website for all of this stuff...hang on, see if I can find it...re-wiring my studio. Stopped for a cup o' char!
www.luminous-landscape.com
Hope this is of some use?
:wave:

• Members

Digital Rebel by Canon is supposed to be a good one. Its $600-$700

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

OR, if you can do with something besides an SLR, the Canon S1IS is a great camera with an atached lense. You can add attachment lenses to it though. Its about $350

Or, I have a Canon A95 that is $300 and smaller.

(Canon rulez, btw)

• Members

The Nikon FM-1 was awesome. That would really teach you to be a good photographer too, but probably not what he's looking for. Autofocus systems are really good now, and with the focus more or less taken care of, you can spend more time on composition, which a lot of newb's forget about.

I'd say pick a system and stick with it. I'd most likely go with Nikon or Canon, as their lens systems are the most popular, and both make great products. I have a Nikon D70 which I love. But Canon is great as well (not to diss Konica/Minolta and Olympus they're good as well).

If you want to start really cheap, a low budget Nikon or Canon body that will accept modern lenses. For a little more, the low budget digital SLR bodies are great. The newest digital rebel by Canon or the Nikon D50 are both great choices.

The biggest mistake I see by people on photography forums is that they get swept up in hype. I pay attention to new developments, but when some new camera comes out with 2 more megapixels, its meaningless to me. I have a great tool to take great pictures, and the most important thing is that: to take lots of pictures to improve your skill.

And it'll be a lot like guitar. A lot of time when you take a really good shot, the person will ask what kind of camera you have (or guitar/amp) instead of saying you take great pictures (or you playing is great). But its not the gear, its the person taking the pictures. And the camera is relatively unimportant, as long as it doesn't get in the way.

• Members

nice one guys. I like the look of that d50. I was thinking of staying away from digital, but the ease with which you can store pictures and then print them is so much better. Plus If I had to get into the paying for prints all the time, I'll probably give up.

• Members

Originally posted by mugglesport

Digital Rebel by Canon is supposed to be a good one. Its $600-$700

OR, if you can do with something besides an SLR, the Canon S1IS is a great camera with an atached lense. You can add attachment lenses to it though. Its about $350

Or, I have a Canon A95 that is $300 and smaller.

(Canon rulez, btw)

have the 300D as well.. most affordable DSLR to get started, i think.. the standard lense that came with it might be a bit on the slow side for action shots focusing though..

Archived