Slightly OT: how good a player were you when you first joined a band?

wpcorgan

• Members

Just out of interest, how good (or bad) a player were you when you first joined a band? I've been playing by myself for about a year and a half now, pretty much self taught. I've been jamming with a drummer a bit, but I wanna be in a band now...

I ain't a mad player, but I am starting to be able to improvise a bit rather than just playing songs etc.

• Members

I joined a band about three years after I started playing. Not becuase I didn't want to sooner -- just because the situation never presented itself until that time. No matter how good of a player someone is, you learn so much more by playing with others. Great learning experience.

• Members

The first band I joined ever? Not very good. I had been playing for about 4 or 5 years and tried it. It didn't go too well, but neither as too many other bands I've been in, so go figure.

I'm trying to get into a band situation right now, and I'm not that great. Must be why I'm having such trouble.

• Members

I started playing at age 12 -- formed my first band at 13. If you already jam with a drummer for fun, you're ready (if it's about having fun). Playing with people, especially patient people who are better than you, is a great way to advance your own playing...

• Members

Well, I was lucky and unlucky enough during my first years of playing to be friends with guys who had played since they were little kids and thus were already in bands. So by the time I was ready to play in bands, I'd already jammed a lot with other people.

Mr. Twang's advice is great. Be in a band, regardless of how you THINK you play, as it'll make you get better just because you'll be playing with others.

• Members

If there was one thing I wish I knew back then was that I didn't have to be that good LOL! I was about 14 or 15 when I joined my first band. Freshman in high school. Although as has been mentioned, if I'd known the right guys and everyone had gear and a place to jam, I would have gotten in a band sooner.

I thought I was pretty good. Everyone else thought I sucked. I'd been playing several years. A lot of people knew all the old metal riffs and everything but I had also come from an education with a father who played organ and rhythm guitar in r&b bands. So I knew lots about chord voicings and progressions and had a wide versatile vocabulary of songs. Sadly when you join a band with a bunch of other 14 year old metal numbskulls they only care about if you can shred, which is why I sucked.

To their credit, it did take me a long time to get to where I was playing efficiently with a drummer. It was very difficult for me at first.

Archived