My delay pedal is too dark/muddy

Rocinante

• Members

I have an Echo Park... Tried a number of other delay pedals over the years (DanEcho, Boss, Ibanez) but the Echo Park won out for features, esp. the tap tempo. However, I never use it in stereo. I have just one amp, so it stays in mono in line with my guitar signal all the time. It always muddies up my signal if I have even a hint of distortion. I want to hear some kind of clear separation between the echoes and the dry signal. I know this is technically impossible, but I'm thinking of kicking this pedal just because of the muddiness. Changing modes doesn't seem to help, and I've tried running it through my amp's FX loop but it makes little difference.

Short of running a second amp in stereo for the echo repeats, is there an alternative pedal I should try first?

• Members

Originally posted by Rocinante

I have an Echo Park... Tried a number of other delay pedals over the years (DanEcho, Boss, Ibanez) but the Echo Park won out for features, esp. the tap tempo. However, I never use it in stereo. I have just one amp, so it stays in mono in line with my guitar signal all the time. It always muddies up my signal if I have even a hint of distortion. I want to hear some kind of clear separation between the echoes and the dry signal. I know this is technically impossible, but I'm thinking of kicking this pedal just because of the muddiness. Changing modes doesn't seem to help, and I've tried running it through my amp's FX loop but it makes little difference.

Short of running a second amp in stereo for the echo repeats, is there an alternative pedal I should try first?

Could it be a problem with whatever OD you're using? I've noticed similar things with my setup (muddy signal with OD) but I've found that it's the OD and not the delay pedal. Some OD's sound great with it and others just plain stink. Just a thought....

• Members
Originally posted by Macdaddy Music

Could it be a problem with whatever OD you're using? I've noticed similar things with my setup (muddy signal with OD) but I've found that it's the OD and not the delay pedal. Some OD's sound great with it and others just plain stink. Just a thought....

The overdrive's coming from the amp.

• Members

The overdrive's coming from the amp.

Delay-->Overdrive=Bad. Put the pedal in the effects loop.

You may also just be experiencing that extra little bit of {censored}e color that any Line6 product will add to your signal chain. (Flaming in 5...4...3...2...)

• Members

The problem is probably that you are using amp overdrive. If it has an effects loop (and you are not using it already) try using it.

If you are using a lighter overdrive ie not metal levels then the the DD3 will probably be clearer. I cannot vouch for the DD5 and 6 but guess that they will work as well as the 3.

• Members

All Line 6 gear is digital; in fact nearly all my experience is with digital pedals.

Right, Line 6 is digital, but they are modeling various analog delay sounds.

Have you tried a Boss DD3456 pedal? If you have, and that is too muddy, you need to move the delay into the effects loop.

• Members
Originally posted by riffdaddy

Delay-->Overdrive=Bad. Put the pedal in the effects loop.

You may also just be experiencing that extra little bit of {censored}e color that any Line6 product will add to your signal chain. (Flaming in 5...4...3...2...)

OK, I'll try the loop again.

• Members

Ok, there are some things to pay attention to about delay. You SHOULD use it in the loop if you want separations between the signals. If you put it before the amp (between amp and guitar) the distortion of the amp will distort everything together making it muddy. To get brightest, most clear delaysound you should put it in the loop and use the digital delay sound in the Echo park. If this doesn't sound good, something else must be the matter.

• Members

Originally posted by chrisjnyc

Right, Line 6 is digital, but they are modeling various analog delay sounds.

Have you tried a Boss DD3456 pedal? If you have, and that is too muddy, you need to move the delay into the effects loop.

There is tape/analog delay settings in the DL4/Echo park, but there is also digital delays that sound good. The boss pedals are a little muddier than this, IMO.

• Members
Originally posted by Noak

Ok, there are some things to pay attention to about delay. You SHOULD use it in the loop if you want separations between the signals. If you put it before the amp (between amp and guitar) the distortion of the amp will distort everything together making it muddy. To get brightest, most clear delaysound you should put it in the loop and use the digital delay sound in the Echo park. If this doesn't sound good, something else must be the matter.

Yeah, it does make a difference. trouble is, I'm using the loop as a solo boost at the moment. Also, the Line 6 adds a lot of noise to the signal. I guess I need to reorder the way I'm using my amp's channels so I can keep the delay in the loop.

• Members

Time-based effects (delay, reverb, etc) typically sound much better when placed after distortion. Therefore, you should use them in your effects loop.

The Line6 when used in the loop shouldn't add noticeable noise. Used in front of the amp it may but if it's adding noise when in the loop something is amiss.

CC

• Members
Originally posted by guitarchris

There's your problem......I know you said it makes little dif about it being in the loop.....but try again.

I've re-routed it through the amp and it is a little better but it's hard to tell for the hiss and buzz. Can't wait 'til I get my new humbucker-equipped axe. Gonna try some EMGs too. The pedal creates noticeable noise.

• Members

Yeah, it does make a difference. trouble is, I'm using the loop as a solo boost at the moment. Also, the Line 6 adds a lot of noise to the signal. I guess I need to reorder the way I'm using my amp's channels so I can keep the delay in the loop.

Yes, delay should be in the loop. But I know what you mean ... with previous gear I used my fx loop as a solo boost as well. And running long cables to/from the delay to the fx loop is not really desirable as well. I finally switched to a 19" device in the loop.

• Members

I know some of you may laugh, but the Dano PB&J is one of the best delay pedals I have owned. If it had tap tempo, it would be the best that I have ever played. I have owned a DD-20, XT live, Magistomp, Digitech PDS, and guyatone MD-3. This thing kicks for short & long delay times (up to 1 sec I believe).

• Members

Get a Guyatone MD-3 !! I Just got one after having used an Arion SAD-1 for about a year.. I still love the SAD-1, but the versatility and the CLARITY of the MD-3 are AWESOME! I think my SAD-1 is going up for sale soon... :)

Archived