WOT: I'm sad for America...

ginnboonmiller

• Members

I just saw this sentence in a book review:

"Though it's 90 percent things we already knew, it's suitably horrifying, slash, gratifying to see them all synthesized into a whole."

I saw that. I read it. It was written down. And published. Written down by a literary critic. And published by a reputable editor. Literary Critic. Paid to know more about writing than you do. Sitting at a keyboard. With a slash key. And writing "horrifying, slash, gratifying." And turning it in. And getting it published that way.

Holy {censored}ing {censored}. Why do I bother? Let, apostrophe, s go ahead and get rid of punctuation altogether,comma,period

No,comma,we can, apostrophe,t. We need two commas and a five letter word to emphasize our point in a way that the {censored}ing slash key can't on its own. {censored}. I give up. I'm calling my editor. Turning in my manuscript as is, and telling them to put "ummmm" in every other word to make up for how short it is now. Because if a {censored}ING LITERARY CRITIC doesn't give a {censored} about how to write properly, then why the {censored} should any of us have any {censored}ing hope for ever understanding each other? {censored}!!!!

• Members

Geez colon rolleyes colon deal with it exclamation point actually comma it makes life a whole lot easier comma because you don apostrophe t have to use any punctuation at all exclamation point i don apostrpohe t know why more people don apostrophe t subscribe to this theory period

colon close parentheses

colon capital d

semicolon close parentheses

• Members

Originally posted by us2bslim

I yell at news-readers on TV for the same awful writing. For the love of Montagne, take your craft seriously!!!!!!

I was just ranting with my wife about newspeople yesterday. We were talking about how it's silly when you hear a non-Hispanic newsperson accent a Spanish term. Actually, I think it's totally condescending. It'd be like if they were doing a story on Compton and said every "ghetto" term in a faux-ebonics manner. Has anyone else noticed that?

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

I was just ranting with my wife about newspeople yesterday. We were talking about how it's silly when you hear a non-Hispanic newsperson accent a Spanish term. Actually, I think it's totally condescending. It'd be like if they were doing a story on Compton and said every "ghetto" term in a faux-ebonics manner. Has anyone else noticed that?

theres a football commentator over here who pronounces all the foreign names like he's at an oral exam. Its unbelievably annoying.

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

theres a football commentator over here who pronounces all the foreign names like he's at an oral exam. Its unbelievably annoying.

You know what I really hate? When people pronounce French words correctly. Because they're just doing it to rub in your face that they're smart. Except, of course, they're actually French, in which case they're even MORE annoying.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

"Though it's 90 percent things we already knew, it's suitably horrifying, slash, gratifying to see them all synthesized into a whole."

Similarly, I hate it when people say the word "quote" out loud, as in, "He was one of those, quote, intellectuals, you know?" Especially with the hand gesture.

I've found that since I began working as an editor, I have become less smooth verbally. I will interrupt myself if I have just said something that could have been more accurate or better-phrased. It gets on my wife's nerves.

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

I've found that since I began working as an editor, I have become less smooth verbally.

I hear you. Actually comma I've never been one of those quote slash unquote fancy speakers who uses big words and such. i'm just an old-fashioned country boy who knows how to tree a coon and skin a catfish stop

• Members

i'm just an old-fashioned country boy who knows how to tree a coon

Racist! :mad:

(I seem to remember getting in trouble as a kid in TN due to not knowing the racist connotations of that word among some Southerners. I just thought raccoons were cute. The same thing happened with the word "jigaboo" when I was about five years old. To me, it just sounded like a funny word. I hope my kids don't pull any such move in public.)

• Members
Originally posted by palthegiraffe

Racist!
:mad:

(I seem to remember getting in trouble as a kid in TN due to not knowing the racist connotations of that word among some Southerners. I just thought raccoons were cute. The same thing happened with the word "jigaboo" when I was about five years old. To me, it just sounded like a funny word. I hope my kids don't pull any such move in public.)

E. and I got into it last night when I mentioned that column-possibility that I emailed you about. I was telling her the open columns that they have: lit., movies, music, etc. and mentioned "queer theory." She started yelling at me for saying "queer" and that it was offensive and I was trying to explain that that's what it's called and she knew that but didn't think that non-gay people should use it (I think she equates it with black people re-adopting "nigger" for their own purposes). What are your thoughts on this? She just wouldn't let it rest, so I ended the argument in much the way I always have to: with blowing her mind with blatant and awful (and false) insensitivity by saying "But honey, 'queer' is what the ******* WANT to be called!" That shut her up!

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

I just saw this sentence in a book review:

I saw that. I read it. It was written down. And published. Written down by a literary critic.

{censored}!!!!

First of all, don't forget your Prozac, miss grammar person.

Second, I think it's the most beautiful thing I've ever read and reaffirms my faith in the American way. It's refreshing to see something that confirms that America is a land so free that we are allowed to continue to intrepret and evolve our base language to suit our needs such that it meets new requirements for complete freedom of communication. A land where individual expression is so honored and valued that even the rules of grammar are no longer binding upon our speech. {censored}ing awesome.

• Members

E. and I got into it last night when I mentioned that column-possibility that I emailed you about. I was telling her the open columns that they have: lit., movies, music, etc. and mentioned "queer theory." She started yelling at me for saying "queer" and that it was offensive and I was trying to explain that that's what it's called and she knew that but didn't think that non-gay people should use it (I think she equates it with black people re-adopting "nigger" for their own purposes). What are your thoughts on this? She just wouldn't let it rest, so I ended the argument in much the way I always have to: with blowing her mind with blatant and awful (and false) insensitivity by saying "But honey, 'queer' is what the ******* WANT to be called!" That shut her up!

I know a couple of people who did some level of "queer theory" study in grad school. From what I've heard about such programs, there is sometimes a partial lack of serious academic content. There is the danger in programs like this (and womens' studies, and African American studies, and others) of grad or undergrad study being less a course of learning than a course of self-exploration. Not that there's anything wrong with self-exploration, or with finding genuinely substantive content related to such categories of people; but having completed a degree focused on such can risk pigeonholing the person, career-/study-wise. But that's just my own opinion as an outsider, looking at friends' studies at UW-Madison and Vanderbilt in particular.

But in regard to your argument, "queer theory" is definitely an accepted term in such programs.

• Members

Originally posted by Elric

First of all, don't forget your Prozac, miss grammar person.

Second, I think it's the most beautiful thing I've ever read and reaffirms my faith in the American way. It's refreshing to see something that confirms that America is a land so free that we are allowed to continue to intrepret and evolve our base language to suit our needs such that it meets new requirements for complete freedom of communication. A land where individual expression is so honored and valued that even the rules of grammar are no longer binding upon our speech. {censored}ing awesome.

Heer heare!

Furthrmowr... Eskl al[p ...vkaskjh 87& F a {censored}in' %%493K in the S?

Archived