SOT: Which Tubes Should I Buy?

box handler

• Members

So I recently bought a Gibson GA-15RV 1x12 combo. First, I needed to replace the power tubes, so I went with a pair of JJ's (EL84's). Now, I'd like to upgrade the preamp tubes for {censored}s and giggles. There're only two of them, so it should be rather inexpensive. What would you recommend? Even if you don't own this amp, think about it in the context of other incredibly simple Class A low-wattage British amps, like the AC-15 or the AD15. Oh, and the current tubes are Sovtek's.

• Members

I've never met a JJ preamp tube that I've liked, and I've tried a few of them. My favorite current production 12AX7 is the Sovtek 12AX7LPS. They're a little noisy, but work well in my EL84 amps. There's also a current production EH tube that's supposed to be pretty damn good, but I haven't tried it.

• Members

weird, ive actually heard nothing but bad things about Tung-Sol tubes... just goes to show you that everything is subjective.

I like the JJ 12AX7's..
but im going to be trying a NOS 5751 in V1 of my amp and have the rest be JJ 12AX7's. the 5751 will smooth out the top end and the JJ's will provide plenty of gain

• Members

Originally posted by agentcooper2001

Stay away from the GT 12ax7m. It's awful. (quality wise)

The worst!!!! My friend got 4, 1 didn't work at all and another did a swooshing sound like he always had a phaser on.

I'm a big fan of the Sovtek LPS and chinese tubes. The JJ's are too dull for me.

• Members

I've got Groove Tubes Gold Series Mullard reissues 12AX7s in my Traynor YCV20. I like them, but then I've not tried many others. I'd know if I didn't like them! The stock sovtek ones were {censored}e, I know that much.

Vince on this forum is selling some Mazda EL84s - anyone know anything about these? I liked the JJ/Tesla ones, as a point of comparison... However, they just died, so...

• Members

Tubes are subjective, but...
Don't use JJ ECC83 tubes in that amp... the sound will become a little muddy, ( my brother has a GA-15, the little brother of that amp)
The tubes that are in there now are telefunken ecc83 and JJ ECC803s...
The original sovtek sound ok...
EI were a little bright..
C9 chinese were warm and good (originally was in there till it died)
JJ ECC83 made amp a little muddy...

I would recommend trying the Chinese tubes, cause they are economical and sound good...

And I also recommend talking to doug at dougstubes.com or mike at kcanostubes.com...

Myles at guitaramplifierblueprinting.com recommended RCA and Raytheon tubes, along with GE and phillips...

Hope this helps...

• Members

If you want tubes - just name which brand you want....I got a whole slew from Dougtubes.com - brand new and will sell them cheap or even trade....I buy them all the time and swap in and out....I am like a tubestore with discount pricing on new or demo products :D

Archived