Name some pedals that you think will be worthless in the future

IndofunkCity

• Members

I'm pulling an elctmist here and coming up with a real honest spinoff thread.

So what pedals that are either respected, command top dollar, or even are simply decent now do you think will eventually be impossible to give away? I nominate my 16-second delay, which I got in a trade worth over $350, which doesn't tempt a single soul now :cry:

Any others? Either past, present, or future?

• Members
Originally posted by IndofunkCity

True, but multi's aren't really respected now. Except for certain rack units, I guess. Think those will become obsolete?

I had something like the TC G-system in mind. Good specs but very pricey and inevitably doomed to depreciate at an alarming rate. Multi-fxs are used by many gigging guitarists I know, it's just that they are'nt the preferred choice for many on HCFX :)

• Members
Originally posted by phoenix_76

I had something like the TC G-system in mind. Good specs but very pricey and inevitably doomed to depreciate at an alarming rate. Multi-fxs are used by many gigging guitarists I know, it's just that they are'nt the preferred choice for many on HCFX
:)

This is true ... we have to remember that HCEF isn't necessarily an accurate representation of the effect-using world ;)

• Members
Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

Good call!

I think anything that doesn't let you produce the same sound twice, reliably, will be forgotten in a couple of years' time.

absolutely.

I need pedals I can depend on in order to produce music.

Even if I wanted chaos from a pedal, it better be controlled chaos :)

I really do wonder where all the poor circuit-bent boss pedals are....

• Members

Johnson, Behringer, Rogue

All {censored}e and will always be thought of as {censored}e.

However, the Dano Mini's. I see them as being in prime position to be worth mucho $$$$. They are cheaply made so they won't last long. They are nearly impossible to get rid of short of throwing them away. Remember, no one thinking they'll be worth money in the future causes them to be worth money in the future.

In twenty years finding a working Tuna Melt (hell, mine is broken) will be a task and someone will be talking about it as the "best trem ever."

I know there are many Tuna Melt and French Toast adherents 'round here.

• Members
Originally posted by Barnabyhuggins

Johnson, Behringer, Rogue

All {censored}e and will always be thought of as {censored}e.

However, the Dano Mini's. I see them as being in prime position to be worth mucho $$$$. They are cheaply made so they won't last long. They are nearly impossible to get rid of short of throwing them away.

In twenty years finding a working Tuna Melt (hell, mine is broken) will be a task and someone will be talking about it as the "best trem ever."

I know there are many Tuna Melt and French Toast adherents 'round here.

Yes, and I'm one of them. However, I think you've stumbled upon the wrong thread. Perhaps you were looking for your thread? ;)

But seriously. This thread is asking what over-hyped pedals of today will be considered {censored}e in the years to come?

• Members

It's entirely possible that we could see a move towards software-based systems. And that stompboxes will fall into general disregard again, as they did through the early 80s into the early 90s with the dawn of racks.

The issues I see with this:
- Still some irritating latency issues for live use.
- Need more headroom to avoid digital clipping issues
- Simplier user inteface for bonehead guitarists
- Make it road-worth. Something like a toughened MAC Mini with an LCD on top and the right interfaces for musos. A dedicated device rather than an off-the-shelf laptop.
- Loose the modelling mentality, why copy something old when you have such computing power to create something new?

Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

I think anything that doesn't let you produce the same sound twice, reliably, will be forgotten in a couple of years' time.

Like a Fuzz Factory :confused: I can't see that being an also-ran in a couple of years.

How popular noise makers are totally depends on who used them and the mythology surrounding them. Look at boxes like the Foxxtone, Synthi Hi-Fli, original 16 second delay, harmonic perculator.

All these of these boxes are unpredictable and difficult to tame but they also bring in the big bucks... they have the mystique surrounding them and the influential recordings they are used on.

I hope we don't lose that personally because that's a big part of why I like effects and have always searched out the wilder stuff like the original EH boxes or the MXR Blue Box. There's something very satisfying -- to me at least -- in stepping on a small colourful box and having your sound go somewhere completely different.

DJ

• Members
Originally posted by elctmist

It's entirely possible that we could see a move towards software-based systems. And that stompboxes will fall into general disregard again, as they did through the early 80s into the early 90s with the dawn of racks.

The issues I see with this:

- Still some irritating latency issues for live use.

- Need more headroom to avoid digital clipping issues

- Simplier user inteface for bonehead guitarists

- Make it road-worth. Something like a toughened MAC Mini with an LCD on top and the right interfaces for musos. A dedicated device rather than an off-the-shelf laptop.

- Loose the modelling mentality, why copy something old when you have such computing power to create something new?

Holy Jeebus! DJ the redbeard has come up with a flash of brilliance :eek:

No, seriously. I like computer-based effects, but latency and headroom are always problems. These will certainly be fixed as technology advances, I have no doubt about that. But the Man-mini idea is something that never ocurred to me! Sheer brilliance!

However, I'm not sure the modeling mentality will ever disappear ... everyone wants that sound of yesteryear... which is why it's rare to find any really brand new earth shattering types of effects ... and even the concept of distortion is a tube concept, so any ss distortion or dist pedal is trying to model a tube amp...

Archived