WOT: I'm sad for Algeria...

jcn37203

• Members

From the CIA World Fact Book:

"After more than a century of rule by France, Algerians fought through much of the 1950s to achieve independence in 1962. Algeria's primary political party, the National Liberation Front (FLN), has dominated politics ever since. Many Algerians in the subsequent generation were not satisfied, however, and moved to counter the FLN's centrality in Algerian politics. The surprising first round success of the Islamic Salvation Front (FIS) in the December 1991 balloting spurred the Algerian army to intervene and postpone the second round of elections to prevent what the secular elite feared would be an extremist-led government from assuming power."

National Liberation Front = FLN?

Islamic Salvation Front = FIS?

:(

These people really need help with their acronyms.

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

"After more than a century of rule by France, Algerians fought through much of the 1950s to achieve independence in 1962. Algeria's primary political party, the National Liberation Front (FLN), has dominated politics ever since. Many Algerians in the subsequent generation were not satisfied, however, and moved to counter the FLN's centrality in Algerian politics. The surprising first round success of the Islamic Salvation Front (FIS) in the December 1991 balloting spurred the Algerian army to intervene and postpone the second round of elections to prevent what the secular elite feared would be an extremist-led government from assuming power."

its french Bozo!!:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

Dude, take a pill, fer crissakes! You're clearly a raving psychopath!!

Acronyms are flexible, and that's what's great about Algeria!

Clearly, the author of those acronyms was trying to communicate the angst and passion that are intrinsic parts of being in a front. I think it's beautiful.

You're implied assertion that language is used for communication saddens me!

• Members

Originally posted by Sir H C

There was a movie about the war for Algeria (or was that Algeirs?). Supposedly used by the French to show how to deal with an insurgency through a negative example.

Algiers is the big city in Algeria...

If you're thinking about "The Battle of Algiers," it's one of the greatest films I've ever seen. So good, the Algerians used it, too, to show how to pull off a good insurgency. It actually starred one of the prime players in the FLN, who acted brilliantly, and is probably the greatest example of cinema verite ever made.

Can't talk about that movie highly enough. Seriously. Yar.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

Algiers is the big city in Algeria...

If you're thinking about "The Battle of Algiers," it's one of the greatest films I've ever seen. So good, the Algerians used it, too, to show how to pull off a good insurgency. It actually starred one of the prime players in the FLN, who acted brilliantly, and is probably the greatest example of cinema verite ever made.

Can't talk about that movie highly enough. Seriously. Yar.

That is it. I have wanted to see that film so badly!

Archived