Jump to content

GBM!!! Just got Live-Evil!


IndofunkCity

Recommended Posts

  • Members

And I'm reminded just how badass it is!

 

I haven't heard this record in years, meanwhile I've been digging on In a Silent Way and On the Corner ... Live-Evil is kinda between them but chiller and mellower (well, you can't get much mellower than some parts of Corner...). Nice :cool:

 

So you wanna do this verbatim, or just do the songs and go for the general feel? Either way, I'm so down, you don't know :thu:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by IndofunkCity

And I'm reminded just how badass it is!


I haven't heard this record in years, meanwhile I've been digging on In a Silent Way and On the Corner ... Live-Evil is kinda between them but chiller and mellower (well, you can't get much mellower than some parts of Corner...). Nice
:cool:

So you wanna do this verbatim, or just do the songs and go for the general feel? Either way, I'm so down, you don't know
:thu:



Yar! It's a good one. Right now Kevin is getting a little skeevy about doing it. If it doesn't work out with Ocrabanza, we're still gonna do it.

What I wanna do is to handle each tune the way whatever the group is would handle any other jazz rep -- not note for note, but our versions of all the tunes on Live Evil. Hopefully it'll be a badass enough cast of characters that it'll be interesting. Nice thing about that record is the variety of tunes -- we can go super strict on the Hermeto tunes and make horrible mountains of noise with the Cellar Door stuff. I'm psyched, even if the rest of the band isn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by IndofunkCity

Holy {censored}! Who's gonna play DeJohnette's solo on What I Say?
:eek:
:eek:
:eek:


:)



That's exactly why Kevin might cop out. "I don't wanna do anything after DeJohnette did it." So if I can't talk him into it, we get either somebody with balls of steel, or who doesn't know DeJohnette, but can still play the crap out of the drums. So, someone with balls of steel. :thu:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Kevin's a wuss :mad: Tell him I said so :mad:

I really hope we can do it ... I'll get to literally live out my Miles fantasy :eek:

In fact, I think I'll show up to the gig in those cool robes he used to wear :cool: .... Think I'll skip the ugly sunglasses though .... And I'll talk in a hoarse whisper the whole night :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by IndofunkCity

Holy {censored}! Who's gonna play DeJohnette's solo on What I Say?
:eek:
:eek:
:eek:


:)



That guy's a ball o' fire.
I also like Keith Jarrett on Live/Evil- always liked his electric playing.
Also, John McLaughlin's playing on 'Gemini/Double Image'- what fuzz is that? A tone bender?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by jgyn

That guy's a ball o' fire.

I also like Keith Jarrett on Live/Evil- always liked his electric playing.

Also, John McLaughlin's playing on 'Gemini/Double Image'- what fuzz is that? A tone bender?


:thu:

Yes!

And the funny thing is, Keith Jarrett (and I believe JMcL, too) never would have played electric if it wasn't for Miles. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Johnny Mac was already playing electric with Lifetime. Keith Jarrett was reported to have said he hated the music he had to play, but wouldn't pass the opportunity to play with Miles.

For truely brutal electric piano, check out Chick with his ringmod and echoplex on Black Beauty, basically a stripped down punked up version of the Bitches Brew line up.

Jan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Man In space

Johnny Mac was already playing electric with Lifetime.

 

 

Played electric with Miles even before he joined Lifetime, didn't he?

 

And wasn't McLaughlin more a part of the whole Leeds thing that created English art rock bands a la Crimson? I'm always a little fuzzy on what he did before Miles hired him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
Originally posted by Man In space

Johnny Mac was already playing electric with Lifetime. Keith Jarrett was reported to have said he hated the music he had to play, but wouldn't pass the opportunity to play with Miles.


For truely brutal electric piano, check out Chick with his ringmod and echoplex on Black Beauty, basically a stripped down punked up version of the Bitches Brew line up.


Jan


Ok, so just Jarrett. I'm sorry :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...