How Many of You Actually Purchased the Gibson SG Classic with P-90's?

• Members
Originally posted by 1DZReverendDavidLee

I'm still staring at one - did any of you actually buy these after there were a few threads on them a month or two back?

If so - your opinion please. Thanks!

P.S. Or if anyone tried one out at a store - your impressions too please.
:wave:

I bought one. It's lovely! Plays really nicely, the neck is just the right shape for me and the binding is great.

I love the way the P90s growl too, get a lovely crunch sound from my rig (same setup for clean with the Jag).

It rocks. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by mrblackbat

I bought one. It's lovely! Plays really nicely, the neck is just the right shape for me and the binding is great.

I love the way the P90s growl too, get a lovely crunch sound from my rig (same setup for clean with the Jag).

It rocks.
:thu:

dude, how u like the Mataamp??

• Members
Originally posted by mrblackbat

It rocks.
:thu:

oh damm, and u gotta tell us how the minimat is when u get it

• Members

The Matamp is gorgeous. Best amp I've ever played. I was originally looking for a Hiwatt when I bought it, but after playing the Mat next to a Hiwatt (they had a few in to test against the new Harry Joyce range) and it creamed it. I'm never great at describing the sound of things, but it just has the perfect breakup sound for me, especially through greenbacks. It just roars like a beast.

As soon as the Minimat comes I'll try and do a review. Should be end of next week now....

• Members
Originally posted by SASQUATCH

I tried one, and it was nice. I ended up with a Gibson SG Standard though because I prefer humbuckers, and the block neck inlays. They do have a great sound though, very "growly".

I have 2 standards already - a red one and a black one. The black one however had 57 Classics put on it with Grover tuners before I bought it. That bitch screams! I figure with one with P-90's in should just about cover everything I'll need from the SG world. Forever. :cool:

• Members

Okay Brothers I got this one in the mail today. The setup was {censored}ing horrendous - I had to give like 3 full turns of the truss rod nut, lower the bridge, lower the bridge pickup, etc etc etc. After that - and retuning with every adjustment - I locked this one into a Rivera Chubster and Jesus that amp loves P-90's :eek:

Mine was not super light but not as heavy as my SG Standards, the finish was perfect - and the "blem" was some light, but noticeable belt buckle rash on the back. Why do people do that then send back the guitar - I mean at least take off your belt :mad:

Now that it's got a perfect and super fast setup and action - this guitar was well worth the $849 from MF. I was a bit miffed about the setup - I don't wonder why whoever had it before me didn't like it - with the strings a good 1/4 inch off the upper fretboard. He must not have known how to setup a guitar. His loss. My gain.

I highly recommend this guitar - especially if you can get a blem or dinged one for the lower price. I noticed MF raised the price to $999 after their intro of $849. Makes me wish I'd ordered one right up front - then it would have been mint for the same price. But overall - I don't care (since it's on the back) - the {censored}ing thing sounds fabulous!

Night all....

:cool:

• Members

congrats!

ahem.. how well it stays in tune? intonates well? are the frets crowned nicely or semi-flat? any filing marks on the fretboard/binding? is the bridge loose if you take off the strings? does it change the pitch a couple of cents if you hold it at an different angles? how easy it is to bend the neck unintentionaly? is the nut material soft enough to let the strings put ridges on it? are the pots scratchy?

please don't treat my questions as a joking/trolling/bashing anything because I've seen all of that on 2 SGs that were in the store recently, both 2005 serials :freak::eek::rolleyes: I'd like to know those were "exclusive examples". thanks!

• Members
Originally posted by burchyk

congrats!

ahem.. how well it stays in tune? intonates well? are the frets crowned nicely or semi-flat? any filing marks on the fretboard/binding? is the bridge loose if you take off the strings? does it change the pitch a couple of cents if you hold it at an different angles? how easy it is to bend the neck unintentionaly? is the nut material soft enough to let the strings put ridges on it? are the pots scratchy?

please don't treat my questions as a joking/trolling/bashing anything because I've seen all of that on 2 SGs that were in the store recently, both 2005 serials
:freak::eek::rolleyes:
I'd like to know those were "exclusive examples". thanks!

mine is an '02. stays in tune amazingly

frets are nicely crowned but a little too tall for my taste (i can bend the note about a half step just by pushing down hard on the string) no file marks or anything, i was actually amazed at how smooth the bends were. it was like playing on glass.

the bridge is a little loose when you take the strings of, but what tune o matic isnt, maybe im mis understanding the question. same with the pitch thing, not sure what you mean, i havent had any problems, but i dont muck around with it.

good luck bending the neck unintentionally its a bat.

pots are smooth as hell,

nut is hard and no string ridges,

stays intonated like a champ (it was set up amazingly when i got it so i didnt have to fool around with it much)

Archived