OT: do you have animals in your house?

sstim8or

• Members

I'm really curious about this. I do not, and will not, have animals in my house. I like animals, and I'm open to the idea of having pets. I've had them in the past. But they're animals, they're supposed to be outside. I seem to be the minority in this line of thinking however, so I'm curious how y'all handle this in your homes.

• Members

My Boo Boo kitty stays indoors at all times.

She escapes once in a while and gets freaked and hides in the bushes. And then runs back in.

My dog stays outside at night time and while I'm at work. Then in the evenings we keep him in for a few hours. Most of prime time.

Until he's a bad doggers. :mad:

New pup coming on Sunday. This is so my dog now will have a friend so we don't have to bring them in as much.

• Members

I don't have a pet, although I would if the aparments I live in would allow it. Back at my parents', we have a cat that stays outdoors. They are of the same school of thought as you. Eventually I'll get a pet when I move out and it will probably stay indoors.

• Members

I live in a semi-urban area, so it would not be much fun for an animal to live outdoors there. Our cat would be flattened by a car within hours at the most. So she sleeps on my legs at night.

However, I see your point. This cat is the first pet I've ever been responsible for, and I wouldn't even have this one if I hadn't married her owner. Having a pet in the house with our toddler just stresses me out most of the time. I'd be fine with an all-human household whenever this cat heads to the big scratching post in the sky.

• Members
Originally posted by Thelonius

My Boo Boo kitty stays indoors at all times.

She escapes once in a while and gets freaked and hides in the bushes. And then runs back in.

My dog stays outside at night time and while I'm at work. Then in the evenings we keep him in for a few hours. Most of prime time.

Until he's a bad doggers.
:mad:

New pup coming on Sunday. This is so my dog now will have a friend so we don't have to bring them in as much.

No disrespect but I could never understand that. Why have a dog if it is going to live outside the majority of the time? Like I said, I am just curious as to the reasoning. :)

• Members

I have 7 rabbits. Four live together in what was the dining room, two live in the hallway with the stairs and upper landing to play on (they love the stairs) and then we have a giant French Lop who lives in the living room with us.

They all get to play in the garden regularly too.

• Members

I have a Cat called Gilmour (named after Dave...not Happy), she mostly spends her time sleeping, eating mush, or torturing mice and leaving bits of their mutilated bodies on the landing.

She has a cat flap so can come in and out as she pleases, which is cool for her but means that she can grab whatever wildlife she wants and bring it in the house...which sucks

she does however always come and lie on the floor when i'm playing my guitar, i think she likes the vibrations or something, but it puts her to sleep pretty quick. Oh yeah cats love lying on effects units or anything with a current going through it with lights on, they can't resist....weird.

they can be a pain, but the house wouldn't be the same without her little fluffy ass running around

• Members

Technically, yes. My apt. has a bit of a roach problem from time to time. Nothing crazy, but I probably see one a week. They are all over our balcony at night. Lived in this complex for 3 years and always been like this. I beg my roomate to close the door but for some reason he loves to leave it open all the time. :confused:

• Members

We have a dog we took with us from a holiday in France... It's ower wasn't taking care of him to good.. :(
He was covered with flees and got hit regularly. So we sorta 'saved' his sorry-ass.. :)

Now he lives with us and he's a very happy dog.. :D
I take him out three to four times a day for a minimum of a half-an-hour each time. He can run and play with other dogs on several fields nearby.. :)

• Members

I've had a cat for about seven years now. When I got married last year, my wife brought along her toy poodle when she moved into the house with us. The cat and dog had issues at first, but now they pretty much stay out of each other's way. They're each about 9 lbs., but the cat is more territorial and therefore a bit more agressive than the dog. She gives him the stink-eye all the time, but the dog is oblivious. Good times.

• Members
Originally posted by Arjae

No disrespect but I could never understand that. Why have a dog if it is going to live outside the majority of the time? Like I said, I am just curious as to the reasoning.
:)

I agree. What's the point of having a companion if you are going to make it live outside? I understand not having an animal in your bedroom, but not even inside? Some people shouldn't have pets.

• Members

No disrespect but I could never understand that. Why have a dog if it is going to live outside the majority of the time? Like I said, I am just curious as to the reasoning.

I like having a dog, I spend lots of time with it.

How about instead of me explaining why I keep a dog outside to you, and a cat inside to sstim8or, I'll let you two do the philisophical dishings. I'm just letting you know where I keep my animals. I don't really give a {censored} if anyone approves.

• Members

People have had domesticated animals in their homes for centuries.

Indeed, through selective breeding, we've created animals that are ill suited for survival in "the wild" or even the back yard.

I have two weiner dogs. All toghether, they take up less than half of a couch cushion.

I don't see a problem.

• Members
Originally posted by Thelonius

I like having a dog, I spend lots of time with it.

How about instead of me explaining why I keep a dog outside to you, and a cat inside to sstim8or, I'll let you two do the philisophical dishings. I'm just letting you know where I keep my animals. I don't really give a {censored} if anyone approves.

I thought I made it clear that I wasn't passing judgement or anything like that. It was just a question. Damn. :rolleyes:

• Members

Because some dogs are fricking huge.

There's two ways to look at it.

1. It's dumb to have a companion that has to remain outside.

2. It's cruel to coop a big dog up in a house all day, when they need to run and jump and frolic to be happy and healthy.

So really, if you own a big dog, either way you go you're going to have someone shaking their head at you.

I say if the dog has a place to stay dry and warm, ample clean food and water, and enough room to run and play, then he's happy. My little dogs can run their asses off in the house and not cause a problem. An 80 poung Lab will destroy your home if he's running and romping inside.

Archived