I think all of these classmates.com type sites

Thelonius

• Members

aim for the wrong demographic.

Maybe I'm way off base here.

I get emails all the time..usually I just delete them because they say silly things like "8 new people have joined your school!!" or whatever. I don't care. But a lot of times you see in the emails and ads all about this "rekindle the old relationship...hook up with your high school sweetheart, etc. etc."

Now, granted, I don't exactly have a history of being on the best terms with my ex girlfriends so maybe that's it, but more than that I'm thinking realistically here, I'm 31, lots of people on classmates are older than that. Married, divorced, children, jobs, living across the country.

Who in the hell is out there going "well I haven't seen my prom date in 30 years but maybe I'll email them and we'll get married?" :confused:

I mean they even post these stories and stuff on the website which I'm sure are made up.

Through classmates, some independent sites, myspace etc. I've come across some old friends. Classmates, guys I used to play in bands with. We send each other an email once in a while and catch up. We don't make dates.

They should do the Chris Rock style marketing.

"You remember Adrian? That nigga owes you fifty dollas!!"

• Members

I signed up years ago and forgot about it mostly. I received the same emails and deleted them.

Two months ago I got a notice that someone had left a message for me. It was from a girl that I dated in college (from a different high school no less). She wanted to know how I was doing. Hadn't spoken to her in 10 years. Caught up a little through email. Kinda cool.

I guess it serves a purpose.

• Members

I thought it was brilliant the way one of those "college community" sites was marketing for a while.

I got an email one day that said "Someone has admitted having a secret crush on you!"

Then you click it and it's this site where you sign up and type in all the email addresses of the people you want to nail, and then it sends emails to them, supposedly keeping you anonymous, and then they're supposed to do the same thing. Then if you both type in each other's email address, it informs you of a match.

What happens after that, I have no idea. I mean, do you bring that up in class the next day?

"So... Angie... did you.... get an email? No? Oh. No, I didn't send anything... I uhhh. Nevermind."

But of course, they had to send out a million lies to get people to sign up. Everyone I knew signed up though. It was pretty smart.

• Members

BTW, I'm kind of interested to know how my exes are doing. Not enough to contact them, but enough to Google their names every year or so.

I learned that my ex-drummer was involved in a statutory rape trial that way once. He wasn't accused, just called as a witness for the accused. Testified that the girl was very flirtatious and he believed she had been sexually active for a number of years.

• Members
Originally posted by jcn37203

BTW, I'm kind of interested to know how my exes are doing. Not enough to contact them, but enough to Google their names every year or so.

I learned that my ex-drummer was involved in a statutory rape trial that way once. He wasn't accused, just called as a witness for the accused. Testified that the girl was very flirtatious and he believed she had been sexually active for a number of years.

Yeah, I wanna know to, and that's where google can come in more handy than classmates.

I want to know the {censored} that people don't post in their reunion bios. :D

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

I thought it was brilliant the way one of those "college community" sites was marketing for a while.

I got an email one day that said "Someone has admitted having a secret crush on you!"

Then you click it and it's this site where you sign up and type in all the email addresses of the people you want to nail, and then it sends emails to them, supposedly keeping you anonymous, and then they're supposed to do the same thing. Then if you both type in each other's email address, it informs you of a match.

What happens after that, I have no idea. I mean, do you bring that up in class the next day?

"So... Angie... did you.... get an email? No? Oh. No, I didn't send anything... I uhhh. Nevermind."

But of course, they had to send out a million lies to get people to sign up. Everyone I knew signed up though. It was pretty smart.

That's brilliant.

Unfortunately in college I rarlely know names unlike high school where you were there every day all day.

So my email would be like, "I wanna bang the hot girl..you know..with the pony tail. Crazy boots girl. You know"

Archived